cabrio won't start in rain

Asked by Sep 28, 2010 at 06:33 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr STD Convertible

Turns over fine and takes several attempts to get it started. when really wet, it will cut out at stops until it get dry, or whatever.

Today, it stopped turning over  after several long cranks, but the juice is getting to the starter and alternator and all electrical systems work.
Can the anti-theft mechanism interfere with this function?

My cabrio does the same thing...ususally its the distributor cap & rotor. It's such a terrible setup, moisture gets in there somehow and causes the stupid thing not to spark. Hope this helps with your problem

20

i live in seattle...spray the inside of the distributor with WD-40....(which for you trivia nerds was named so because it was being developed for Water Displacement and it was the 40th foumula)

30

I had this problem for a few years with my wife's 2002, and it got solved when I replaced the coil. It was splash from the bottom that hit a tiny crack in the insulation. I had tried everything else, WD40 in and around the distributor, New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and finally the coil. It took some sleuthing, but the coil was the culprit. Merry Christmas.

I'm having there same problem. Thanks for doing the sleuthing for me.