Why do aftermarket parts retailers keep telling me,"there are no parts for the Cabrio" ?

40

Asked by Jun 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM about the 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr STD Convertible

I bought a 1996 MK III Cabrio,I always wanted a VW convertible but could never afford it when I did find one,or they were in too bad condition to pay outrageous prices for.Then I ran across a 96 Cabrio,really nice shape with a perfect price.I went to a couple of shows and decided to try and update the look with a body kit,debadged grille,lighting upgrade etc.Nothing too wild but just a more mogern look.The problem is,Even though the Cabrio is just a rag top Golf. Every vendor keeps telling me,"there are no aftermarket parts that work on the Cabrio." No body kits,no fender mount antenna (for some reason they all want to sell me a roof mount antenna like on a Golf or Jetta), no grills or hoods,nothing.Although there are even pictures of kitted Cabrio's on their websites and I see them at car shows.Why is every one telling me continually,"golf parts will not work on a Cabrio? I just want to make my Cabrio look up to date like this photo without the vertical doors.Makes it look exotic and really sweet.Thanks for any help and your time.    Meade (o\_I_/o)

23,225

Wow... I would try Car ID or Galpin Auto Sports... look them up. VW is insidious.. always looking to stiff their clients.. see if you can avoid dealing with them directly... I had two VWs and will never go back and patronize them again... Nice picture above with the vertical doors.. really a custom job... yeah, you don't want to have something this special unless you have plenty of money and are into car collecting... Good luck.

40

Thanks but it isn't really that expensive ($1000 for the kit),I do my own paint and wrenching,but the water cooled cars are new to me.Been driving and working on Bugs for over 20 years.This new stuff is almost a whole new ball game.