How can I fix loose seat on real?

Asked by May 06, 2017 at 11:26 AM about the 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr STD Convertible

Hello.  I took my 96 VW Cabrio to get it inspected and it failed, I fix what I
could but they hit me on loose seats?  These seats sit on rails, and yes they do
move up and down if you rock them, so what can I do

254,535

adjust the seat all the way forward to see the fasteners holding the seat to the floor, remove them, then adjust the seat all the back and do the same. You might have to unplug a few connectors. then check the hardware on the seat track to the seat, it might be loose or broken, and tighten or repair.

40

You need to replace tne white nylon slides that are in the seat rails.You can get them here ; www.partsplaceinc.com they are $8.95 a set (6 pieces to do both front seats.I had the same problem when I tried to get my 96'Cabrio inspected. If you go to the website you can order a free catalog,these guys have everything you need for All models VW's.The cover of the free 175 page magazine sized catalog says it best. Parts Place Inc. For ALL VOLKSWAGENS' "We're real people,who drive Volkswagens,and know Volkswagens". This catalog should be owned by everyone who owns a Volkswagen.

40

Oh and by the way,on any Volkswagen seat using the three point mounting system ( they started using it way back in the 70's in the Type-1 (Beetle) there are no fastners, The seats slide into channels on the floor. They are held in place by nylon sliding clips on the two rear legs,and in the front there os a bushing at the pin where you adjust the seat.If the spring is off and the tiny metal tab on the rail is bent,when you adjust the seat rearward it will slide right out of the rails and will not be attached to the car's floor at this point.If you are driving when it happens. The only thing holding you and the seat in the car,will be your seat belt. That is why a VW with broken or missing sliders is unable to pass inspection. Hope this helps. (o\_I_/o)