pops out of reverse

10

Asked by Mar 26, 2012 at 02:08 PM about the 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr STD Convertible

My 96 Cabrio pops out of reverse then makes grinding noise. It helps if I hold the shifter in place, but it's getting
pretty bad. Could new bushing or greased linkage help this problem? Or will I need tranny repair? Thanks, Kristi

4,395

Start looking for a replacement transmission.

1,495

could one of two different problems, first thing I'd check is the linkage for the shifter they do wear out and the two plastic linkage rods are easily replaced and cheap from the dealer that is the best case, worse case is the reverse gear has a few teeth missing which is a common problem in 97 and older Vdubs, if your car makes a clicking noise only only in reverse then thats your problem, but it may not make the noise if more than one tooth is missing it will just pop out of gear like you mentioned. If this is the case the transmission has to be takin apart and the reverse gear replaced. good luck! btw I do not recommend replacing the whole trany like Scott mentioned if its the reverse gear you can have it repaired for a lot less than the price of even a used trany.

4,395

Actually, you can find decent 020 series transmissions on Craigslist and theSamba.com relatively cheaply. I actually have a spare one for sale right now in the Lancaster, CA area for $150. The thing that hurts is paying for installation. Additionally, while you got the thing apart, you really wanna replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing...and maybe resurface the flywheel. But, do follow Jon's advice and check for the plastic linkage rods first...cheaper stuff first.

10

I appreciate your replies! We are going to pull the whole baby apart. My husband works as a mechanic. For some reason has really hesitated to repair what we have. But I found reverse gears online and think we will do the fix! Thanks for your help. Kristi