front seat belts no longer retract after a minimal front end impact

Asked by Oct 23, 2011 at 09:39 PM about the 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr STD Convertible

the drivers side seat belt is stuck in the last postion it was in at the time of the accident. also the passinger side belt will not go in or out at all NO one was in that seat at the time.

most likely your airbags deployed,yes? when ever your air bags deploys the seat belts automaticly retract to make them tighter on impact. they must be replaced along with the airbags & crash sensors located in the front of the vehicle,usually behind the bumper cover & the sensors under the seats or inside the console.then they must be reprogrammed by computer.

Best Answer