I have a 1995 VW Cabrio. I am having problems starting it.

Asked by Jun 21, 2012 at 08:19 AM about the 1995 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr STD Convertible

I admit I dont know mch about cars but I have heard it could be three things: battery, alternator or starter. The battery doesnt completely die, I can get the radio and lights working but when i try to start it, sometimes it clicks, sometimes nothing, and sometimes it even randomly starts. Its very incosistent. yesterday it wouldnt start and everytime I tried the alarm (which i had no idea even worked) would go off and the car would click but not start. The car rine fine with a jump, no problems whatsoever. When I got to work I turned it off and tried to retstart it, it worked. When I left work, back to the clock and alarm resetting and no start. Jumped it and it worked fine. When i got home i turned the engine off and on and it started again. One our later I tried again and nothing. Around 4 hours after that, it started again randomly when I tried it. This morning I needed another jump....anyone have any idea what im dealing with here? I was going to get a new battery today but I want to make sure thats what I'm dealing with...Help!!!!

395

if you have AAA call them to come check your battery. they have a machine that hooks up and it will tell you if its the battery ,alt or starter. from what you describe i think its the alt. good luck. it might be your alarm also if you say you didnt know it was there. maybe loose wire

Ok I just disconnected the battery while it was running and the car still ran does that mean the alternator is ok?

270,035

Do you have a voltmeter? Put it across the leads of the battery, it should be 12.4 any lower, I would say new battery. With the engine running, it should read 14Volts or higher, that means the alternator is charging.