Brake Light and Hazard Triangle on Dashboard lights up occasionally

10

Asked by Sep 26, 2016 at 02:04 PM about the 2001 BMW Z3 2.5i Convertible

The Brake light and Hazard Triangle on Dashboard light up in yellow - twice in 3 days but goes away after car is off for a short period of time.  
Am being told it is the shocks and suspension that needs to be replaced  - does that sound accurate?   They could not find anything else with electronic diagnosis.

68,365

.Have you checked the brake fluid?Have you replaced the brake,s?

10

Thank you very much for getting back to me!! They have checked brake fluid and brakes ... am being told it is leaking shocks/suspension that needs to be replaced for $2,100.

68,365

Is this a independent mechanic or a dealer telling you this?Doe,s not sound right to me,the suspesion should have nothing to do with the braking system light on the bimmer,i think you may need brake job,but get another oppion before you get ripped off that kind of money for a brake job.

10

Thank you very much, appreciate the assistance!

18,685

Also check that all brake light bulbs are coming on.

10

I’m back … truly appreciate the assistance! As mentioned the Triangle and Brake light on my dashboard showed up in Yellow intermediately … when I would get back into the car and turn it on after it was used for a period of time . The auto repair shop replaced the ABS Sensors. Did not use the car for almost two days, and then when I turned the car on, the lights appeared again (the direct opposite of previous experience of driving it and then they would come on after I turned it off and later returned to the car and started it up again) I did a long test drive of the car on Saturday, the lights did not appear when I turned it on, and after 4-hours of using it, they never appeared again. Took it on the highway, etc. Turned it off, on again, etc. and the lights are not showing. Is it at all possible that the yellow brake light and triangle showed up the first time I used it after the repair as some sort of ‘reset’ and it is actually fixed? Thank you again, wish I knew more about cars!