won't start

10

Asked by Jan 12, 2015 at 12:42 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Dr LS Sedan

New Battery, but engine says nothing when I turn key

8,420

Wont crank? you mean ? what does the instrument cluster say ?

10

Instrument Cluster lights up, I'm thinking solenoid problem with the starter, but not sure, thought maybe I would at least hear tick tick tick. Is there a starter relay or is it incorporated with the starter itself.

8,420

If there is no security light in the instrument cluster staying on. then the battery connections should be cleaned and tightened. if you pop the connecting bolts out, you can slide the covers off, and clean the cables on some of those. Clean the surface of the batteries connection with wire brush. The starter has a solenoid on it and a start enable pigtail activates it. coming from the ignition switch and neutral switch or clutch. newer ones have a TR sensor. If your starter connection is good, your start enable wire activates it. Your power distribution center has fuses and relays as well as a connecting cable you can check during the connection cleanup.

8,420

If you hear one tick or tap when turning the key, that circuit is activating the solenoid pull-in winding. If you hear a series of clicks rapidly, then it works but the battery voltage is too low. you would chargeup the batt. and do the maintenance electrical while it was disconnected. If your car is behind on maintenance, this could explain things, but if you have overheated the car, some starter solenoids can be affected by heat. you can tap it with a tool that's insulated while someone starts it. If you find the issue at the starter solenoid, usually a bench test and further inspection can lead to your cause. A high quality solenoid is better than a low quality rebuilt starter to replace.

Best Answer
10

Thanks, sounds like solenoid issue. Will try it out this weekend.