What might be the problem??

Asked by Sep 08, 2014 at 11:03 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Dr LS Sedan

So... stupid ol' me let my friend, who i thought would be good to my baby took my car to
go pick up food for the two of us. When he came back he told me that he had tried to
floor it so he could get across a busy street. I didn't think anything of it until I go to leave
and when I put the car into drive it doesn't start to idle. Then, when I go to accelerate it
doesn't go anywhere and I'm forced to push hard on the gas to go anywhere. I get to
the gas station and call him and ask if anything sounded like it popped, he said no.
Drove it home and every time I came to a stop and then tried to accelerate it wouldn't
go and I'd have to push hard once again. This was last night, haven't driven it since.
Asked my dad, he said it might be dirty fuel injectors, also said it might be spark plugs/
plug wires. He's not in the state to check it so I'm lost there. Had my grandfather come
over and check it out, he said it might the fuel pump or the transmission. I'm realllly not
looking to take it into a mechanic to be over charged but I'm not really about to drive it
around and have the problem become worse. I really need help on this one. If any
mechanic can suggest what it might be I would be eternally great-full. Thanks for
reading, anything helps. -Kenz

92,905

Is the check engine light on? Look under the hood at the engine for anything that might be broke, like an engine mount, or a loose intake hose,check the accelerator cable it could have broke the mounting tab.

check engine is always on. Mechanic said they couldn't figure it out and didnt want me to have to pay for them to figure it out. I haven't checked under the hood considering I know so little about cars. My grandpa did and i think if he would have seen anything then it might have raised some concern. It was getting dark out though, maybe he just couldn't see anything. i'll have him check again. Thanks!

92,905

He may have to shake the motor around a bit to see if theres any excessive play in the mounts and he might have to dig a little to get a good look at the cable.

13,605

If your are pushing down on the gas peddle/accelerator, and the engine does not rev up to go, it indeed may be the cable. Check to se if the cable is connected underneath the peddle. Tug on the cable to see if it moves. If it moves, the tab holding it may have come lose or broke. Next have grandpa put it in park, emergency brake on, start the car and under the hood watch when you step on the gas peddle if the throttle linkage to the injection unit moves. If not, have him physically move it at the throttle body and see if the engine RP