My 1999 Chevy Cavalier won't turn over with the key far enough to turn the engine over ?

5

Asked by Mar 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Dr LS Sedan

My 1999 Chev Cavalier won't start. The battery is good ... the starter is good. The car is driven daily, and always starts.
Now the key will not turn over enough to crank the motor over. other people thought it might be a security anti theft issue .. there is an anti theft light on the right side of the instument panel.
we tried to have the key on as far as we could turn it ( enough to have radio on ) to see if it reset itself. tried to start after 20 min still could not turn the key far enough to crank motor.
Called CAA and was towed home.
please help !!! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Steve and his Son Joshua

have you EVER have had to deal with this security issue before? Check your owners manual for the resolution to this puzzle...if this isn't it, we could look to the presence of spark when you turn the key, the presence of fuel and metering of air and throttle, all will be difficult without some data vis-a-via trouble codes and a trail of breadcrumbs to lead us home~ so when you get them (a good autoparts store will read them for free) please post them here and our team of experts will solve your problem.

27,535

Either ignition switch or the ignition lock cylinder (the part you stick the key it) it could bind causing this issue. Its inexpensive if its the lock cyl. Its not an anti theft issue, if it was the motor would either crank and die or just spin and not start. Not sure how it works on a chevy but i know it doesnt lock the key to where you cant turn it. Something is broke or binding in one of the two componets i listed or atleast thats what i think.

Best Answer

you know AAA may be hip to this score~ could check with them~

if you have 20 keys a flashlight and a charm on your key ring..lighten it up for the sake of your new ignition switch if that is what it turns out to be...that weight, and swinging all the time, will do that to the innards of the lock cylinder

3,190

Try moving the steering wheel when trying to turn key.

14,365

I had the same problem. I just had a new key lock,/keys put in and the problem was fixed. The key you use all the time wears, as does the lock, and they change their "fittings" together, so the other spare key that has not been used for some time may not work. Change it out, it should not be expensive to have a locksmith do. My wife's solution was to buy a new car.

20

99 Chevy cavalier won't start

14,365

Raymon, what are the symptoms? Dead battery, turns over but will not fire off? Does it get gas? Does it have spark? Have you had the codes from the computer read? The computer will not allow the motor to start if there is any malfunctions that may harm the engine. A bit more detail will help in the rationalization of the problem.