MY CAR HAS NO DIP STICK TO CHECK THE TRANSMISSION FLUID IN MY 1999 CAVALIER IT LOOKS AS IF IT NEVER HAD ONE PRETTY WEIRD RIGHT BUT TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN I CHECK THE TRANSMISSION FLUID FOR THIS PARTICULAR MODEL?

Asked by Feb 23, 2007 at 10:34 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Dr LS Sedan

14,990

Dear latoya-- If it has no dipstick it means that you can't check the transmission fluid. Your system is sealed and the fluid is meant to last the lifetime of the car. Good luck from Bovan.

165

my 99 has a dip stick...there should be one...look for a red plastic handle that has a loop

65

if it is a manual transmission its there just very far down on the trans

8,525

Yup, the dipstick is down there, but it tends to get covered with road grime and can be hard to see. It doesn't have a long fill tube like most, instead it's a small dip rod that plus into the housing itself if I remember correctly.

front of car looking at engine ,right of motor look straight down you should see it.if not yours could be the case in fact,GMstarted building their cars with no dip stick you have to take it to dealership to have it checked.money racket,if yours has 80,000 miles or more and never been checked,take it in for a fluid and filter change.

2,310

here we go for all those who don't know.....the th125 trans does have a dipstick near the rear of the engine by the firewall...the th225 DOES NOThave a dipstick...you do not need to take your vehicle to the dealer to be checked....underneath the car where the right side axle goes to the wheel (between the trans and engine) there is a 3/8 pipe plug...romove this plug...start the vehicle...yes start the vehicle...if the fluid trickles out (not gushes out ) the level is ok...also catch a little in a container and check condition of fluid....hope this helps

95

I just wanted to verify that as per my experience, Larry is 100% correct. Good luck.

2,310

Thanks Ben...youdaman!!!!

125

All the cavalier are the same to check the trans oil their a plu un the trani

2,310

dude english...please....try again...

120

latoya is the man as he only made the mistake of saying take to dealer it can be done yourself the same way you did rearend check in the 70's and is located on passenger side of engine near driveshaft . car MUST BE LEVEL and running. take to a place with a pit or jack all 4 wheels and be sure it is not going to fall on you. at least on my 2001 cav is like that.

34,945

if for some reason it doesn't trickle out there is a plastic plug on the top of the trans same side as the check plug. it is about the same size as a gatoraid cap, cant miss it.

34,945

lol forgot to say thats where u fill it, very long funnel

125

ACTUALLY ALL THE CAVALIERS DO NOT HAVE A REGULAR DIPSTICK. HOWEVER THEY DO HAVE THE RED FILL PLUG. AND ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TRANSMISSION AS YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE FRONT OF THE CAR THERES A DRAIN PLUG THAT IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRANNY PAN. NOW THE PONTIAC SUNFIRES HAD A REGULAR DIPSTICK FOR THE TRANSMISSION.

25

I'm sure I'm low on Transmission fluid...been looking for two days and cant find it LOL. Hopfully someone will help me tomorrow to find it.

50

There is no dip stick for car. I have a 2004 model and these are the new sealed systems. Don't know why I bought it but I did. I had the same problem with my 2004 Saturn vue and the tranny was replaced 3 times because the fluid level couldn't be checked. I will not buy another Chevy again. Nissan is now doing the same on most models. The dealers have the stick to check and we as owners can not buy them as far as I know.

220

My Cavalier is a, 1999 Z24 Cavalier Covtertable with a 4 speed auto. trans. do you happen to know about my car, mine dose not have a dipstick to check trans. fluid level, how can I check the level in mine, as it has been starting to slip.

90

how do you check / add gear oil to the manual transmission on a 2004 chevy cavalieras the shift is now very stiff when shifting gears i know it needs gear oil,, but dont know to insert it into gear box ......need help

105

Here is what I have found for my girlfriends 2002 Cavalier. Here’s an example of what is involved to check the fluid level for a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier with a 4T40-E automatic transaxle: fluid temp must be at 104 degrees F. when checking engine must be running with transaxle in Park an oil pan should be placed under the removal plug area; then remove plug if fluid doesn’t come out when plug is removed, add fluid until it starts to come out; then stop adding allow level to stabilize even with the bottom of the check plug hole replace plug when fluid no longer comes out of check plug hole tighten plug to the correct torque specification You can see it’s no longer a simple matter of lifting the hood, pulling out the dipstick and looking to see where the fluid level is on vehicles with these newer style transmissions.

30

We have 03 cavalier, 2.2 liter. Automatic.ive changed transmission fluid and filter several times. Has leaked fluid by dripping slow around pan sometimes, but now ive bout got it to stop by tightning bolts enough and checking often. Has been running fine with 180,000 miles on it. Which is great since i read most cavaliers transmissions went out at 130,000 miles. Ive done quite a bit to keep it going. Now when i take off it changes 1st and 2nd but rpms rev up too high and wont go in high gear. Maby fluid low, not exactly sure. Just got to watch how much fluid you put in.too much can cause problems too. Mine has no dip stick and i know thats the way its made. The quarter inch plug on trans is way you check it when it runs out that hole. Autozone checked with their tester and it showed that i have a cluch silenoid showing on tester. Probally sticking i assume. Because sometimes it shifts fine. Only now i believe because i have a very small drip and i mean its just a drip. That it has gone below the fluid level required to make shift silenoids and cluch silenoids open and close. Its happen before, i ad fluid and it works good again. If you can tell me somthing to add to what ive described please do. Im no mechanic, but i can fix alot by listning to the car and watching gauges . Also my exaust about a month ago started getting louder. Which is very unusal because this car normally runs so quite you cant hardly hear it, i mean quite. So i replaced gasket underneath where exaust joins and 3 bolts hold it together, put new seal where it goes up into manifold at those three bolts, put new muffler on and still same noise. Theres nothing left on exaust to check. The exaust has no leaks and is in pretty good shape. Is the 02 sensors upstream and downstream causing the noise. Because the sensors are bad and not getting right mix of air? Or is it some vaccum or something else that may be making it sound kinda like a roaring sound. But it get louder the faster you go. Thanks.

60

I have a 2002 Chevy cavalier were do I put the transmission oil at

10

How do I know how much to put in by checking the plug under the right side