Head gasket question

Asked by May 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM about the 1989 Toyota Supra 2 dr Hatchback turbo

I am looking at buying an 89 supra with 68k original miles. I am worried about the head gasket problem. Is it too late to fix the head gasket now before it creates problems, or is the problem already there? I do not believe this was ever done on the car thus far.

241,575

I assume there is an issue with the headgaskets on this model car? I 'm usually the type of guys who say don't fix it till it's broke. A headgasket isn't preventative maintenance.

1,595

The 7MGE is problematic because from the factory, head bolts were only torqued down to 60 lb-ft. If it hasn't blown the head gasket yet, it isn't too hard to do. There are plenty of write-ups on how to replace the head gasket on the internet. Just find one and follow the steps, stopping short what you need to do to remove the head. Then, tighten the head bolts in the appropriate pattern to 75 lb-ft of torque.

1,175

Do a 2JZ-GTE swap, ad a HUGE turbo and water injection for 1000Hp. Only way to go.