How easy and how expensive is a fuel line fix?

20

Asked by Mar 04, 2013 at 02:00 PM about the 1988 Toyota Supra 2 dr Hatchback Turbo

I have a guy whose selling an 88 supra for $950. All it has is a fuel line issue, but sadly i dont
know where it is and how to do it. I know they are cheap to fix but someone explain!

they may in fact be NOT cheap...as my 88 Quantum required special stainless steel ones at 200 ea, 2003 prices. but a rubber hose is cheap. Do we know is this a high-pressure situation, if it is UP goes the price, and the brain-box would halt operation if the leak were substantial. Go to your local, trusted guy, an olde tymer who smokes a pipe would be a ripe choice.

99,135

Fuel line pressure is over 50 psi for the injectors. --- It cost me $800 installed to replace the fuel and brake lines on my 2002 Grand Am. Part of the cost was new drums and wheel cylinders because my bleeders were froze shut. If your fuel line has rotted out, the brake lines are just as bad. They're waiting for one hard stop and they will fail on you when you need them the most.

1,625

Even if it costs a few hundred to get it fixed, it's still a good deal as long as the rest of the car is solid. Mk3s are getting rarer by the day and you can fix it and flip it easily.

20,805

then you didn,t here it run,you might be buying a pig in a poke as they say,thats a good price for that car ,if you trust the sale,buy it ,does it have the spoiler wow it can be parted for more than 950,other lines may have rust also like brakes.so what,have someone redo all whats needed on a budget price,like high pressure hose for fuel at 90 cents a foot ,maby have to lower tank , I think you would stay under 350$

20

everythings mint besides the feul line

how do you s'pose this leak might have happened?....all by itself?....achem, no...someone was off-roadin' the thing.

I had an 88 olds and it was not a high psi or if it was it made no dif and if u can buy line and bend it your self it will be a lot Cheaper But make sure you buy a pipe bender tool or rent one from Your local auto parts store And if it's just a little spot in a line going to be a easy

Our buddy 7jimmy7 may be onto something:I've found braided aircraft stainless steel tubing to be a suitable replacement, not quite sure up to 5000 psi, but am certain that your supra did not operate under such pressures and an ordinary screw clamp with braided stainless could possibly be an alternative---the Custom Shop in Oakland had spools of it for not-so-much money, sold per foot-

'braided stainless aircraft fuel tubing" if you wanted to search on it.

Hey....a custom job...why not: save on cost...perhaps-http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0501_fuel_system_plumbing/viewall.html

1,625

The simple answer is that the cost and effort is less than the value of the car if it is indeed mint and especially if that is the only problem with the car and only reason it won't run.

if you could post a picture of what you've got (already asked if we could do this again, perhaps they need to be reminded) we could assess where might be the problem.