What can make my 1999 jerk and blog down while driving?

Asked by Aug 29, 2012 at 12:50 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2 Dr RS Coupe

I have a 1999 chevy cavalier that has 160,000 miles on it. It does start hard i have to pump gas but when i drive it
its seems to jerk and blog down and i have to either let off the gas or press gas harder to make it stop, Car shifts
fine the check engine light was on and i had it tested said bad O2 sensor bank 2 so we replaced it. Check engine
light is off but still having problem also put in all new spark plugs still didnt help. We are thinking maybe its the fuel
filter?? Help please!!

3,025

start by changing fuel filter and go from there.

20

Does the check engine light go on and off intermittently? The o2 sensor may be ok But you could have a broken exhaust in between the motor and catalytic converter where there is a flex pipe. this will break due to a broken motor mount. you will notice the car getting louder then usual possibly. This may cause your check engine light to come on for a long time and then go out all the sudden for a long time. you went to the parts store or mechanic and they said the computer reads an o2 sensor going bad. I have a 97 that is doing this. if the exhaust is broken it can cause the o2 sensor to get confused possibly and the check engine light will come on if it thinks you have a bad o2 sensor. also I need new control arms on mine. this is a steering part. it in jerk when it ships to about 2nd or 3rd gear especially while going around as sharp left curb. I keep having to get a front end alignment. also a thumping sound occurs when taking off and applying brakes. it could be that you have those two problems at once. have both of those checked out. also have a mechanic check the fuel pressure with a gauge. A fuel pump failure is very likely in this particular car. i have heard of cavaliers 97-99 with a bad fuel pump. when you get the motor mount fixed, if this problem exists, keep an eye on how good your transmission is doing especially if the motor mount may have been broken for a long time. these are all common problems with 96-99 cavalier or sunfire.