1987 Supra is considered a collectable car?

Asked by Mar 18, 2008 at 08:36 PM about the 1987 Toyota Supra 2 dr Hatchback

Hello,
I would like to know if a 1987 Supra is considered a collectable car...
(not a classic or historic car).  
If it is, is there a car club or similar entity that would affrim this?

You can email me at dennispoulos@aol.com

Many thanks,
Dennis

no not that i know of.

3,425

You might want to try http://www.supras.com/06/main/index.php. I don't know how big or how active that site is, but their Tech Center looks pretty busy.

25

Is a 85 supra considered acollectable?

35

I think they are more of a modern classic than collectable at the moment. Suppose it depends where you live though, here in the UK mine is insured as a modern classic and some models especially the older ones (in good condition) or the 2.5tt r are quite collectable due to their rarity.

35

The prices of all Supras (MK1-MK4) have SKYROCKETED. Its hard to find any these days in half way decent shells for less than $1000. High End Performance in California told me I got one hell of a steal getting my 88 Turbo t-speed hardtop, in the condition it came, for what I paid ($900). It didnt run, but it I want to I can get it to run, with stock engine, and sell easily for $5000 (however I dont plan on letting go of my baby for quite sometime.) Here's a few Supra sites as well... www.toyotanation.com (excellent Supra forum) www.supramania.com www.supraforums.com I'm a member of all 3 and can attest to the quality of these sites.

65

to the right people yes. there are many websites just for supra owners and supra lover.I own a 1986.5 Supra and am a member of a supra website call supramania which is one of the bests sites ever. so if you were to ask me if the supra is collectable i would say yes.

2,010

hell no...give your head a shake...what are you thinking ????

85

^^^^ who are u kidding? yes the supra could be considered a collectable because of such low numbers on the road today. but there is no such classification of car as collectable (as far as i know). here in rhode island i know of 2 running mk3 supras....mine and another white turbo/auto....pretty much all the others dont run. it is also considered to be a classic at this point (anything older the 15 years i believe....this also varies on where you live based on different state laws) and is almost considered an antique (25 years)

480

I am going to say no on this one, because i believe that for you to get collector car license plates the production number (aka the total number of the cars produced) has to be under X amount. Now the twin turbo MKIV's are collectors. Where as classic/historical plates the car has to be X years old. It is not an opinion thing people, there is actual criteria to be considered.

65

Why are the MKIV's more than the MK3's? there's way more MkIV's and there all in better condition on adverage. plus the MK3's are older the the MK IV's.

480

You might want to check that, you rarely ever see MKIV's and i can find MKIII's all day. The MKIV is just a desirable car, the car was a big deal when it came out at the time. It was Toyota's super car....it blew the doors off the MKIII, don't get me wrong, I like the MKIII's, but cars get their reputation from the people that buy them. Now, I'll use this as an example, 5 years ago you could buy an AE86 corolla for nothing, then drifters in japan used them and now their value has skyrocketed. Why is it that the old school 200sx's aren't worth a lot? They are essentially the same platform as the AE86.....two door sedan, RWD. If I were to get a 200sx, do a crazy swap, win a shit ton of drift events then guess what, everyone would want a 200sx. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday......

5

The big reason is because of the original retail price and the amount that they actually put out. They are in better condition because they are hard to get your hands on. I've seen in the last 2 or 3 years only 4, and I've been too and from Michigan, Kentucky, Penn State, Georgia, and idk how many times to Indiana. I've traveled alot. Another big reason is the tuner market. The TT's come with an EXTREMELY durable engine from factory. The 2JZGTE. 3.0l DOHC Inline6. puts out 322 at the wheels from factory, 6 speed(normally). They are known for pushing quadruple digit power numbers and sub 9-10 second quarter mile times when tuned properly(not stock obviously). The good MK3's come with either the 7mgte or the 1jzgte(lucky if you can get one), which is normally tossed for the 2JZ when money allows, because of the aftermarket availability of parts for the 2JZ. Its not really collector value as it is supply and demand. Just like the turbo eclipses, once the fast and the furious hit screens, the prices sky rocketed. the tuner market has become rediculous since then. Which is why i have a less sought after import and it eats em for breakfast in the twisties(1989 Toyota MR2)

85

I can assure you there always have, and always will be, Toyota Supra fans. I own a 93 supra, and i am in fucking love with it. i will never sell this car, even if i totaled it. i also had a 85 supra, that was a collectable car in my opinion. best cars ever made.