Does anyone have a picture of the hatch cable for a 1985 Toyota Supra?

5

Asked by Feb 26, 2011 at 04:17 PM about the 1985 Toyota Supra 2 dr Hatchback P-Type

(am pretty sure I drive the P-type)...Just had my cable replaced but have some questions about it, and need a photo/drawing to show a friend. If anyone has one, I would really APPRECIATE it!!..can't seem to find one!..

15

i have an 85 celica should be the same. mines still installed wut ya need to know?

5

OH..Thank you so much for responding!! :)..To tell you the truth, I don't KNOW!...Its a bit of a STORY, so i wont go that in depth & waste your TIME, but I just had it pulled out and SENT out for repair; then the shop reinstalled it....I told my friend about the situation, as I am not sure it really was broken in the FIRST place, (although I know it was not WORKING properly), and my friend (he's an older man, very experienced with cars and EVERYTHING), asked me if I had a picture or a drawing of the cable 'cause he wanted to look at it; probably to assess the situation... 'cause the shop charged me kind of a lot to DO it, after REALLY giving me the impression it was an easy (not very expensive job). AND, I JUST spent $1100 on some other repairs, at the same shop couple of weeks ago...I THINK my friend wants to see it to sorta look out for me; wanted to see what really was involved and what could have possibly happened since I SAW the cable when he pulled it out, and it didn't look broken to me. I will ask my friend if there is a question I can ask you about the cable to answer HIS question and will re-post....(or if you have a picture of it that'd be good; but probably you dont! :)...Thank you so much!!

5

Ok, so I talked to my friend and he wanted to see a picture just so he could figure out what might have broken on the cable and HOW. .And he said he's pretty sure he knows how that particular cable works, so its ok. But I DO have a question for you: Do you know how or where exactly on the car, the cable could have "come off" of, that perhaps it would no longer open the hatch, but the cable would not have necessarily BROKEN &could just be put back on?...My OTHER mechanic had told me he was gonna just check if it had "come off", sometime when he had time and I had the car in there. But I didn't have the car in his shop 'cause he was too busy, and so I asked this other guy to check that and I know he DIDN'T. I know for SURE the cable had not SNAPPED, because I saw it and it was not broken in the typical sense. However there may have been something else broken that I could not see..Anyway, if you KNOW, maybe you could tell me; just 'cause I am not 100% sure I trust this new mechanic. THANKS!.

cables streach over time,yours is a 85,so it eather streached,or their is a small round piece that goes in at end of cable that hooks into the hatch release,that is probley where it broke,this is common on this cable.

5

Thank you so MUCH!!...it is entirely possible. I am going to ask the guy who fixed it to tell me exactly what BROKE and what he had repaired, because he did not explain any of it to me at all. But thank you so much for your input, that is really helpful. :).

you welcome.

4,225

check with a local dealer to get the photos. http://bit.ly/irNJyj

5

That's a good idea, thank you. :)...and will for things in the future. This particular problem has been solved...and the information I got from the "papa" regarding where it could have broken, was actually exactly what had happened...and btw...I was so happy to get some feedback 'cause the mechanic I took my car to who I was unsure if I could trust, I couldn't!!...He turned out to have really taken advantage of me, and I am STILL leaking oil!...now I have to come up w/ more money to pay a mechanic I can trust!!...But anyway...thank you for your suggestion re the photos...I will know to go there in the future if I need any photos! Take care!