will a 1999 cavalier 2.2 engine make noise if it does not have a thermastat

Asked by Jul 15, 2014 at 06:08 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2 Dr STD Coupe

i have checked everything i dont know why it is makeing the noise it runs fine has not lost
any power gets gone but still makes noise in motor the only thing wrong is no thermastat i
am afraid to drive it in case it makes it worse please help me out

36,755

No. That won't make noise. Did you take it out, or the guy before you bought the car?

the guy before me

36,755

He must have taken it out for a reason. I'm guessing that it may be the water pump is bad. Is the noise coming from the top of the engine or more from the front where the water pump would be?

i checked all the fluids 5 times the day i bought it nothing was low has a slight oil leak at the vavle cover it sounds like the sound is comeing from the lifters when the cover is over them but i have checked all the lifters its comeing from the heads at least it sounds like it my uncle is very good with motors no professional but has never steered me wrong but he cant even figure it out i just dont understand it the dang thing runs smooth no miss no loss of power it started doing it at the foot of the mountain i live on so i went ahead and made it home but it pulled the mountain just fine hell i was even able to do between 50 or 60 all the way up it with no problem and during that sometimes the noise would dang near stop u could only hear it slightly and then it get louder again i just dont know im at a loss