what size engines can I fit into the '89 celica st

Asked by Oct 14, 2013 at 07:01 PM about the 1989 Toyota Celica ST coupe

I was thinking of trying to put a better engine in my car and was wondering if there was a
better 4 cylinder that would fit.

It has been my experience that the Celica engine has been a good engine as long as it is maintained. I worked for a company that had one for a light delivery rig and a customer delivery rig, when they decided to get a new vehicle it had 228K on it and was still running strong, of course it was maintained very well all though it had a few bumps and dings. I noticed the little car one day parked at the mall and the guy was loading stuff in the trunk so I asked him if it was still running good for him and he said no problems yet and had almost 300k. So why would you want to replace such a durable little engine?

It it isn't so much wanting to replace it as much as improve upon the car as a whole I had original thought of finding a seperate 3fse engine like what I have in it and using an engine rebuild set I've found and dropping that in with hookups added for a turbo charger my dad races his Saturn sky redline and has been encouraging me to work on my own car to race with him

I get it now, if you are going to do a build for turbocharging do it right, get all of the correct turbo stuff for that engine and enjoy the ride.

if you pick up a 3sgte and 5spd from an mr2 you get the turbo it bolts in and also gain a lsd in the trans axle. if not just getting a 3sgte would be a great upgrade. if you get it complete then it should be relatively plug an play