1985 Toyota Celica GTS overdrive stopped working

Asked by Jun 20, 2012 at 08:33 AM about the 1985 Toyota Celica GT-S Convertible

I had the valve cover off adjusting valves and now the overdrive doesn't work.  Thought I might have pinched a wire or knocked a terminal loose but no.  I see there are three inputs to the relay, temp switch, O/D switch, and the cruise control computer.  There is power going to the temp switch and the O/D switch.  Not sure if the temp switch is working though and I can't find the relay.  Cruise control seem to be working so it's getting it's speed sensor inputs.  Any hints

1,665

maybe the overdrive switch's clip got loose disconnecting it

No it's tight and the switch turns the light on so it's working. I was thinking it might have been the temperture switch because that's near the valve cover but it's ok too.

1,665

how long has it been since your last transmission oil change ?

I just got the car so possible a while.

19,055

Idk becuase mine is a 5speed but are there any vaccum lines to the transmission that may have been disconnected?

I wish, that would be a simpler fix. It's all electronic. The only vacum lines are to the emmsions controls. I think I'm doomed to shooting wires to see where I'm not getting power from.. I did find a technical serve bulletin that talks about fourth gear not kicking out that if the electronic were working there's a check valve in the valve body in the transmission. Then it'll be a call to Amco for an appointment.

It was the overdrive switch on the transmission. I was on another forum and someone had the same problem but used one from a volvo. Appearently vlvo, Mittubeshee and a couple others used the same transmission just configured them to their cars. Toyota wanted almost $200 for it. I found the volvo one on ebay for $65 and just spliced the old connector on to it. Works like a champ. Not usre why it went out after I adjusted the valves though. Probabely coincidence.