Aprox what would be a fair cost for a engine and what should be replace for sitting for 4yrsyears

Asked by Nov 20, 2012 at 02:37 PM about the 1984 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback

I was given a '84 Celica Liftback GT The owner told me it sat for 4 yrs. and it ran rough and smoked. I figure it wld be cheaper to replace the motor and to replace any thing (Rubber) else that is damaged by age. Is there anything else I shld replace, and what would be a fair cost.

Thanks for reading/help
Pete
jadpete@gmail.com

30

Your first problem would be to find a used engine that is better than the one you have now. Most salvage yards do not keep cars or parts for cars that are 28 years old. What I would do in your place is watch for used cars for sale and by a junk car with a good motor for 2-3 hundred dollars, pull the engine and any other parts that I coud use and then sell the rest of the car and the junk motor for scrap. (120-200 dollars a ton)

21,885

These cars have a 22r or 22re (fuel injected) engine. Only an idiot sells those cheap because they are solid motors. I would get it running and dignose it first, what if its fixable? A head gasket isnt that had of a task in these cars. These engines are strong and unless serverly neglected it should be ok. Plus the 22r engine from 84 and later is different from 85+, they changed the block and head hights and switched from dual row timing chain to a single. Tue older one may be harder to find and easier to rebuild.

21,885

And please dont just send this car to the crusher, they are super fun to drive, if its a 5 speed its even better. I have an 85 celica gt coupe 5 speed, funnest car i've owned and couldnt think of getting rid of it.

A friend gave me the car, because he knew I appreciated the car, and that I would not only get it fixed but that I would keep It, and that's what Im going to do. Thanks guys for caring and for your answers. Pete