Corrola nightmares

95

Asked by Aug 07, 2008 at 10:22 PM about the 1986 Toyota Corolla LE

I have a 1986 Toyota Corolla which had a very loud knocking in the engine.  I was told to check the oil so I pulled off the little lid on the top of the engine and didn't see any.  I filled up the oil until it was to the top, and the noise went away, but now it is running really bad and smoking a lot.   Should I rebuild the carburetor next, or what??

You should take it to someone who knows what they are doing. smoking is probably from burning oil.

85

I recommend that you rebuilt the transmission first

95

Yeah, I started to do that, but I couldn't get the gas tank out.

85

I think that you should remove the front seats to start, then take the dash apart. I think thats where it is anyways...

95

Huh????

115

Erm .... Probably a good idea to get some help to drain all the extra oil as it sounds as if you've filled the whole engine with oil. Must have cost a fortune so it ay be worth keeping it for future use. Meanwhile don't start the engine again.

25

if you filled it to the VERY top of the dipstick tube you put in too much and now its burning excess oil and could blow your seals. So basically you went from too little to too much

85

Marty, you really need to do the same with the transmission as well... just fill it all the way.

95

Are you sure because it's been running this whole time and it seems to be getting better the more it runs, although it's smoking a little more. Maybe it just needs a tune up?

95

Oh yeah, and it took 22 litres. Does it seem like much?

10

if you are talking about the fill hole on top of the valve cover you filled every cubic inch of space in the engine and i am suprised it would be runing, there is a dipstic on the engine it would be on the front if a 4 cilender or if a v6 it would be on the side you will have two dipstics if its an autimatic the transmision fluid will be red and the engine oil will be tannish, if old it will be black.

60

hahahahah. lmao. dude i work at a dealrship and ive seen a few people do that right in front of my face. and now actually hearing some one else doin is pretty funny. take it to someone who knows wat their doin but dont tell them u filled it wit oil. cuz they'll probly laugh too. is it a rear wheel drive corrola?

45

I had 1991 toyota and it smoked like yours so I sold it for half the price... and got rid of the problem. Now I hope you know how to do it right .. 1986 I was just 10 years then... long time

9,815

Marty, I hope this a joke. If not, it would be cheaper to look for a new car.

145

The first time I ever made spaghetti sauce... the recipe asked for 5 cloves of garlic... I thought a clove was the whole bulb... Obviously the sauce was inedible. It sounds like you need to take your vehicle to someone who knows what they are doing and are willing to either teach you or explain to you what they are doing...

75

Wow...if you don't know how to properly work on a car, bring it to a mechanic!

35

If I were you I would take it to Toyota and pay the $89.00 to find out what is the exact problem then take it from there. I know I'm just a chick but I work for Toyota and Ive seen alot of people come in who have tried to fix their problems on their cars esp. older cars like your and havent had luck you might end up making the problem worse if your not sure what the problem. Besides on the older model toyotas its a pain to get to alot of the parts on the cars.

20

I think you have knocked your engine, so you have either change it or rebuild it.

825

knocked your engine?? wtf is that supposed to mean?? i tihnk you mean blown your engine...retard

15

your piston rings sound to be shot, rebuild the engine

40

ok first of all drain your oil. your lucky that your engin is even able to run. you put so much oil in the engin that the oil is at the cankshaft, and is having to move against that extra resistence(your getting worce gas mileage arnt you?) the nock is probably caused because your engin is running to hot, check your coolent and make sure it's at the proper level at the rersivare, it thats ok, then when its runing(after you drain and refill your oil, about 4 quarts should do) if you see that the temp. gauge is getting to hot the replace your thermostat. if that dosnt do it then you need to take it to a shop because it could be a lot of differnt things from the engins piston clearnces bing to wide to a bad air fuel ratio mixture.

Ive given this alot of thought and would highly recommend waxing your car and check the tire pressure......and oh yes a deodorant christmas tree on the rear view mirror will certainly ensure sucess.