problem when starting

25

Asked by May 08, 2010 at 02:03 PM about the 1989 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe

my car does not start all the time the mechanic said the starter and alternator and
battery is good.  what do you think is wrong.  It does not make any noise when I
turn the key.  It does not happen all the time.  here is my e-mail address
santosfrederick@hotmail.com
please reply
fred santos

115

First, you need to make the difference if the car is equiped with a manual or automatic transmission... If automatic, check the neutral switch (a device installed in order to prevent the car from starting when on reverse or drive). Or try to start on neutral - or push the shifter a little farther on Park... If manual, maybe the switch in the clutch pedal is used or broken. There is actually a switch that prevents the car from starting when the clutch pedal is not completely depressed. If it happens that this switch is not functionning properly, it can happen that the car does not start on all the attempts.

60

Jean-Francois, I have the same problem that freddy1974 has with my 1988 Gorolla GTS Coupe. My car is a manual transmission. Whenever the car will not start, if I push the car (in 1st gear or reverse) and "pop the clutch", the car will start and run just fine. Now, I am using the clutch pedal in order to start the vehicle while moving, could the switch in the clutch pedal, still be at fault? This has been a real aggravation, I replaced the starter, the ignition, the alternator, the battery and removed the alarm.... not a lot left.... There is no rhyme or reason to when this occurs, it just seams to happen more frequently in the summer. Thanks, John