1989 corolla srt,won't idle,runs great

Asked by Apr 19, 2015 at 01:44 PM about the 1989 Toyota Corolla SR5 Coupe

Car was revving up and down while idling,so low the oil light was coming on.Then
escalated to will not idle.I push the clutch in coming to a red light,or rounding a curve,and
it dies.What are the odds,fuel filter,or throttle position sensor?

Jimmy you're not being ignored, I want you to know that. I have been looking for a cause and until I find that no way to suggest a solution. You should have the 1.6L, but is it the 4A-FE or 4A-GE? I have been thinking vacuum leak, but searching forums and technical bulletins, the '89 is getting more and more difficult to find information on and vacuul leak is possible, worth looking at you engine for cracked hoses, hoses or nipples with no 'home' or nothing attached. But don't wast a lot of time with that....it's low on the list but a good look sure won't hurt. Maybe TPS like you say, have a look at this then lets go from there. ok? http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/toyota/1.6L/how-to-test-the-tps-1

my civic had the same problem and i replaced the fuel pump relay and it helped alot. I also had the timing belt and drive belt changed and it idles smooth as can be.

Similar problem with my 1985 AE80 2A engine. Starts and runs great idles when cold, but not when at optimal operating temp. Stop and push clutch in and it stalls immediately - as if you turned off the ignition - except it'll start up immediately first try and will continue to run as long as I keep my foot on the accelerator. I've already replaced all the hoses, filters, fuel pump, anti-dieseling solenoid, PCV valve, and done a carby overhaul....