Rear suspension clanking / creaking noise

20

Asked by Jun 30, 2015 at 12:58 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Blazer 2 Door LS 4WD

So I bought a fixer upper of a Blazer with suspension issues.  Now I noticed that when
I reverse out of my driveway, there is a creaking and clanking sound coming from the
rear suspension somewhere.  This driveway is on an incline, so I am reversing down
the incline until I hit the road (which is level), where it obviously puts strain on the rear
suspension.  

I have not noticed these sounds on any other occasion.  I plan on getting an alignment
(and other work) done soon so I should probably fix this issue before all that. Any
ideas?

Also one more question.  There's an online site where I order parts from, and all of the
front end parts are usually listed as 4WD ABS (which is what I need)...  but all the rear
parts are typically listed as RWD only.  So are these RWD parts compatible with a
4WD ABS Blazer or only for the 2WD variant?

395

rear wheel parts are gonna be different than front,and there is a differerance between 2wd and 4wd.as far as the clancking raise up the rear axle safely with some jack stands and start the engine put your foot on the brake and put it in drive,than slowly let off the brake pedal see if you can pinpoint the noise most likely it's gonna be the rear end,you can pull off the rear cover and see how much metal is on the magnet strip

20

To rephrase my question, are rear suspension parts marked as RWD the same parts on both a 2WD and 4WD?

11,805

As far as the rear creaking and clanking, I would thoroughly inspect both leaf springs. There may be a rotted or cracked leaf or clamp that is creating the noise. Also inspect the shock mounting points, especially paying attention to the top mounts and shocks themselves. Parts should be listed as 4WD. I would contact any support they may have and ask.

20

Ok that sounds like a good idea. Would tinkering/replace the leaf springs or shocks affect the alignment at all?