can I put a 350 short block in my 75 Celica GT without too many modifications?

Asked by Nov 03, 2007 at 03:46 AM about the 1975 Toyota Celica GT coupe

645

Wow I have never heard of this modification done before. I think you will have to beef up the drive line and differential, not to mention suspension. I'm not asying it cant be done and boy it would be cool to see it finished. Make sure to post up some photos when completed.

43,935

2nd that, not saying it can't be done, but your specification of "without too many modifications" probably will spell the death of the project. That would be a major undertaking.

25

i have some parts for those early celica's if your interested

8,375

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C25242 Sorry couldn't find any kits for a Celica v8 conversion, but hopefully seeing a little of what someone else has done will help. Goggle it... Find a Celica fan site and ask around.... People have done it before you need to make sure you get information from them because there are likely unforeseen complications in this kind of swap. On that note, you may want to think about putting a cage in there to combat chassis flex.

25

well u can probly do it but it will take some serious mods and like the guy below said u would deff have to get better suspension

305

A few tips; 1) SPACE: Although the V-angle of the small block allows it to fit into a lot of small engine bays, you may find that you struggle with a few issues in the process. For starters you will need to measure the width of the engine at the engine mounts, and strengthen the chasis where you need to locate the new mounts. Then you will need to plan the diameter and angle of your extractors (exhaust manifolds). They need to fit around the engine block within the the confined space of the engine bay, and find thier way down past the bell housing of the transmission to the rear of the vehicle somehow. Be careful with this as it may require custom extractors and will therefore affect exhaust tuning. 2) ACCESS: Next is planning the insertion. With the block suspended over the engine bay with a block and tackle, you will need to decide where and when you will attach the transmission, exhaust manifolds, spark plugs (no really) and possibly the alternator bracket. As once its in, its difficult to work around it. Spark plug access is a major pain. You may also need to broaden the tunnel to fit the transmission easily. 3) FITTING: Choose your carby carefully, unless your happy to cut a hole through your hood and fit a pro stocker air intake. An injection system maybe the better choice, depending the model and origin of the engine. Make sure you leave enough between the engine and the firewall, and the engine fan and the radiator. You should also ensure the new radiator core has space for a thermo fan. The 350 will generate alot more heat than a 1.5L engine. 4) POWER: Stabiliser bars, torsion bars, front and rear suspension, breaks, safety belts, roll cage...its a long list to ensure you survive the first 10 seconds of 300bhp in a car that light. You should consider tubbing the rear axel, belting out the wheel guards and fitting flares so you can fit wider tyres to transfer the power to the ground. 5) TWIST: Expect the engine to move around on its mounts and the chasis to twist a little. The energy needs somewhere to go, and something will break eventually. Check your chasis dimensions and wheel base before you take it to the streets. You may need to consider strengthening wherever possible.

5

it will bolt up to your tranny but you'll have to reinforce the frame and fab up new motor mounts

I have a 2000 GT-S myself. I want to do the same thing but with a 283 out of a totaled 64 Chevy Nova. I have the tranny and rear also. I know it's going to be a lot of work but I believe it will be an awesome sleeper when it's done.