electric sunroof not sealing.

Asked by Feb 24, 2007 at 11:43 PM about the 1988 Toyota Camry LE

Had not opened the sunroof in 3 years.  I opened it and as it slid backwards it made a loud banging/snapping noise.  The sunroof opened completely.  When I attempted to close it, it traveled normally to the 3/4 close position and stopped as it should but then moved very slowly the remainder of the way to the close position.  In the close position, the rear edge of the sunroof would not raise up to meet and create a seal with the main roof.  Any recommendations?   

Hello, It sounds as though the seal may have disintegrated during the time of no use. I would start by replacing the seal. Even before doing that, you may want to open the roof back up and make sure that the seal is clean. Best of luck! CarGrrl

It may also have gotten stuck to the seal after all that time and pulled it loose when you opened it. The window then ran into the loose part on the way back (that is why it moved slowly at the last)and it is not letting it close properly. If you can open it and kind of poke your head up there and watch you should be able see what is loose while it moves...don't crush your head.

Hello jebster, I came across your question regarding your Camry sunroof problem from 9 years ago. After all this time I'm hopeful I can make contact with you. I own a 1993 Camry and four days ago I encountered the EXACT problem you experienced with your Camry 9 years ago. Just like it happened to you starting with the loud sound as if something broke. Jebster what did you do to fix your sunroof problem?