1987 toyota camry wagon issues

Asked by Jul 19, 2016 at 11:04 PM about the 1987 Toyota Camry Wagon

Replaced alternator on a 1987 toyota camry wagon, now it won't start. Still turns over, just doesn't start. Before I replaced it it would start, I could drive around but it would die randomly, while driving. After it was replaced, the car started right up once. There was some smoke, I turned it off, and now it doesn't start.

Was that smoke Electrical? You might consider rechecking your wiring. Check fuses under the hood. Fuse and relay ID's are under the Fuse box covers. Get back to us with results.

I'm not sure if it was electrical. It only smoked the first time I tried to start it after changing the alternator. It did start and then I noticed the smoke. If I remember correctly, it was white smoke. I will check that and get back to you. Thanks for replying.

Fuses seem ok. A friend found a corroded ground under the battery. We cleaned it and now it starts again but didn't even get out of the drive way before it died. I changed the battery and it started but died shortly after trying to leave. After a couple tries, it starts again and gets me to a store. After about 45 minutes, I leave the store, the car gets me to the light and dies. After a couple tries, it starts again and gets me home. The store is about 5 miles away. The friend thinks the wires may need to be replaced because they look deteriorated.

Seems your Friend has some good instincts The interesting thing about electrical corrosion...it travels...down into the wiring were it started. .Suggest you start opening up these wires by slicing into them length wise...peel back the insulation and check for more Corrosion. Good Luck.

Sirius....any updates concerning the fix for this issue?