89 Honda Accord Wont Start

Asked by Jul 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM about the 1989 Honda Accord LXi

I have a 89 honda accord that i just bought and it ran fine when i got it. It just needed the alternator belt
tightened. Well i tightened it up and it sounded like the battery was bad so i pulled one out of my old car that
was basically new. I can turn the key over to the accessory position and all the lights and fans and everything
will come on but when you go to turn it the rest of the way over it does nothing. I can hear the fuel pump kick on
and all that just it wont turn over or even try to. The starter could be out i dont know. Is there anything I can do to
find out what the problem is before I go spending money on anything.

223,035

You might have tightened the belt too tight binding it. DId you unplug or move a wire when you fixed the belt?

325

You can bang on your starter and see if that will help. If it does replace your starter.

325

You can bang on your starter and see if that will help. If it does replace your starter. You can take your starter of your vehicle and add power to it, if it turns it may not be the starter. If you have a 12v battery charger then put the positive to positive and negative to negative and if it turns the starter is more then likely fine.

235

Main relay is always the first suspect...even if you think the fuel pump is being actuated by this relay, it has additional functions which can prevent stater activation. If you want to cut to the chase...take a wire (fused preferred) directly from the + battery terminal and touch the stater turn on terminal (tiny lead) with the key in the on position. If it cranks...it is not the starter. Could be the ignition switch not sending a signal to the starter...or all the way back to the main relay principle.