89 accord cold weather starting problem

20

Asked by Dec 02, 2011 at 10:01 PM about the 1989 Honda Accord DX

I have a 2.0 L, manual trans., carbureted motor. In cold weather (-5 deg. C or less) it just turns over but won't fire. It's like it's not getting fuel. It has a new fuel filter, new cap and rotor, new plugs, and new air filter. Also on occasion (in cold weather) it would idle high (up to 3,00 rpm) so I changed the thermostat, and it seems to have helped, but I'm not sure if it solved the issue completely. Any ideas???

bad choke pull off,other words,the choke is not working.

35

try changing the oil, if the oil does not circulate it will have the same problems. As the temperature is too low try lower viscosity oil, which will help you in circulation of oil. This should solve your problem

20

I've also just changed the oil and filter with 5w30. The biggest issue is the no start in cold weather. I assume this is a result of a choke issue...... The problem here is that from what I've heard is that the Honda carbs are very temperamental and also with the introduction of fuel injection, there are not very many people that are familiar with carburetors any more.

10

I have same prob..I have changed carb n fuel pump, all fuel filters. Has new battery. New cables. I put new choke in last winter but didnt help. Has had new plugs and wires. Ive got 3000 in repairs. All new cept engine and tranny..more ideas please..