OVERHEATING

50

Asked by Apr 01, 2012 at 11:34 PM about the 1987 Honda Accord LX Hatchback

I HAVE A 87 ACCORD LXI THAT OVERHEATS. I JUST REPLACED THE WATER PUMP AND THERMOSTAT. BUT
NO LUCK. THE RADIATOR IS FULL AND THE FANS ARE WORKING PROPERLY. IT BUILDS PRESSURE BUT
DOES NOT SEEM TO CIRCULATE THRU THE SYSTEM. I HAVE EVEN TRIED THE HEATER AND A/C IN ALL
DIFFERENT SETTINGS

65

check your oil to make sure its not green or a brown color. it could be a blown head gasket

10

Head gasket, worse case cracked head, do you smell exhaust fumes in coolant ?

50

done all of that, everything is good. i was told this morning that i should do a reverse flush of the system. what does that consist of and how do i go about it?

I had a similar problem with my Sedona. The problem was that the system needed to be bled. My mechanic left the cap off the radiator and let it idle. After watching it for a bit, he saw air bubbles burp out of the radiator. once the system was burped. the fluid ran through and no more over heating. This had to be done because I had all hoses replaced, and a new thermostat installed. Good luck

50

tried the "burp" method, and watch the coolant gradually flow out the radiator big chunks of debris came out. temp gauge was pegged but the discharge from the radiator was still minimal. can the radiator be flushed in reverse? or am i creating more problems

325

With the age of the car, have you considered that the radiator core might need to be replaced?

10

Reverse flushing is the only way to remove , debris out of ur radiator, remember to remove thermostat, good luck

111,065

Had one do that. Radiator hoses were bad. Inner lining of hoses were collapsed and not letting the water thru.

45

Make sure the thermostat is installed correctly, some people install them reversed causing the problem you describe

How to bleed the radiator if its overheating