does a 1987 accord lx have a check engine light in dash?

20

Asked by Apr 21, 2013 at 03:15 AM about the 1987 Honda Accord LX

won't pass smog until I get it working, but guy says it ossibly doesn' t have one?

It has one. The bulb could be burned out that lights it, but it's there. I was already sure, but I went to a couple sites about The Accord, and people having trouble trying to figure out how to get theirs turned off.

And if you want to read about it go to: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2759334..and those images will get big enough to see if you click on them

20

Thank you Mark! You've been very helpful in trying to help me. I am hoping it is only the bulb, but how do I replace it? Is it possibly a fuse I should check first?

You can get the CEL to flash those codes above with a jumper wire , again this image id an '97 Accord and the document above will get big enough to read if you click on it

At: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp ..you can get instructions on how to replace the bulb.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-trucks/replace-check-engine-light-honda-accord-98-a-299001.html ....there is a thread and this is a quote from there: "My car just failed an inspection because the check engine light doesn't come on. It wasn't throwing any codes, the light wouldn't come on". If you go to that link they discuss exactly what you are dealing with, which fuse, bulb, all of it.

79,125

Sometimes people will remove the bulb if the "check engine" light is on. My Nephew, ahem, did that once. In the past you could get away with that at inspection. But not now. Don't be surprised if a previous owner has removed the bulb. Also don't be surprised if the light remains on once you replace the bulb. If it does, get the code(s) and publish them if need be & we can help fix your car correctly. Like I told Don, my Nephew, removing the bulb is not the solution. I hope it's just burned out. HTH. - Jim

20

Thank you car gurus...below is what a neighbor told me to do. Does that sound right to you experts? If all easier stuff fails, how do I get to the bulb? (ewmwmber, I'm a woman doing this by myself, but I do have tools!) "Try disconnecting the battery (remove the black ground cable) for 5 minutes or so then reconnect. That may reset the light (you will lose you radio presets and clock time but those can be reset). Check your Honda manual too for any information on “check engine light”. Can check fuses too. "

79,125

That's correct for clearing any codes. Since your car is a 1987 model it's OBD I. To test for proper bulb operation turn the ignition key to the run position but do not start the engine. The check engine light, battery light, oil light, and maybe a few other lights should be on steady. If the check engine light is not on you'll need to get to the bulb. You may have to remove the instrument cluster. Or you may need to access the back of the instrument cluster by either removing the lower steering column cover or the top dash board padded cover. I'd suggest getting a repair manual to help you disassemble the right components. The bulb itself is probably a #194. But once you get it out take the old one to the auto parts store for them to match. If you find there's no bulb in there the auto parts store can look it up for you. HTH. -Jim

20

Thank you, but you didn't answer me re: doing the battery disconnect thing firsy...especially before disassembling the entire panel! By disconnecting battery connection for a bit, will it hurt anything to do so?

79,125

No, not at all. You'll have to reset your clock and maybe your radio presets but that's it. -Jim

20

To all of you that helped me...Honda says the carburated engines do, and the fuel injected ones don't.

20

Oops, the other way around....sorry

79,125

I forgot about this. My '86 Chevy C-10 pick up had a "choke" light instead of a "check engine" light. My truck was carbureated but I don't know if that made the difference. My Father had an '81 Chevy Caprice which was also carbureted but he had a "check engine" light. You'll probably need documentation from Honda to prove to the inspection station that you aren't supposed to have one. Good luck. HTH. -Jim

107,695

In New York State, any vehicle over twenty five years old does not have to have the emissions system operating. You can pass with a "Check Engine" light on - or at least you could unless they changed the laws. Rust removes most of the older cars from the roads by then.