get rid of service D needed on screen

Asked by Nov 18, 2008 at 01:37 PM about the 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4MATIC

I serviced the car, not at the dealer, for service B. The repairman fixed the service B to go away then not a week later the Service C in.... came on. I ignored it until it read'service C exceeded by 1800+ miles', then I turned on the car and the display said service D exceeded by 3300+ miles, I called MB shop where I leased from and my service professional sort of brushed me off and said I needed to come in to do service D, he didn't hear my problem that how could I need service D exceeded by 3300 when the day before the display said service C exceeded by 1800+ miles. Why would service D be exceed by 1500 more miles than service C from one day to the next?

40

There are many different levels of services for your car based on mileage and or time. Service B was probably a minor service and oil change. When you go into the service menu in your instrument cluster it lists the needed services by numbers 1-20. The service center may have only cleared part of the service that was due at that time or it may just happen that the time interval came up for addittional services after those were performed. It's also possible they didn't reset the service indicator properly.

50

The Mercedes Flexible Service System (FSS) is designed to keep track of tons of calculations including distance driven, cold starts, engine rpm, air quality, etc... If you took your R-class in for an oil change else where and didn't reset the indicator, the FSS computer sees that the oil was replenished but doesn't know that the filter or other things were done. There is a very good reason for all of this. You only need to service your truck 1-time a year, that's pretty damn good. When you take your truck in for service at a Mercedes-Benz dealership, they're going to look everything over like the shocks that always blow out in the back of these, or the front sway-bar links or to recommend the tires and brakes that these trucks rip through every 20,000 miles. Not to mention all the recalls they take care of. If you don't want to pay for the full service at the dealership, at least go there for the oil change so they put the engine oil and filter that's suppose to be in there. I can't count the number of $30,000 engine jobs I've done because guys like you won't pay the $300 a year to have your truck serviced once.

130

It is not helpful to be dismissive of others difficulties with these issues just because Mercedes screwed up. The schedules in many M-B owners manuals with numbering versus the somewhat alarming messages and non-corresponding lettering appearing in your face every time you start your car are an unwarranted invitation to be so concerned as to simply throw away money to an eager/hungry or poorly informed/informing dealer. We, the great un-washed, have suspicions about the motives and capabilities of most automotive servicing facilities - for very valid well-documented reasons. While it may not apply to you, Robert, there are a lot scruple challenged automotive businesses in the world, including Mercedes World. The "Service Adviser's" job is to soft sell as much service to you "as needed," but for what or whom? One does have to change the fluids and filters, etc. with quality parts "as needed," which the FSS was supposed to help you to do. But, accessing and evaluating the information is beyond most owners capabilities, and also apparently that of many "certified" service technicians. The owners who realize this discrepancy are here asking for help. FYI - inside the hood it often says on an applied sticker to use only Mobil 1, but in the manual there is different information if you search a little, and many other oil types and brands meeting the factory service designations are available, or becoming available as product development moves forward, and are perfectly satisfactory - some at a much lower cost for those willing and able to take charge of servicing themselves. Please, you obviously know a lot more than we do, so be nice to those of us who are searching for these kinds of answers.

495

EMAIL ME AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE STEPS TO REMOVE ANY SERVICE CODES THAT COME UP - THE PARTS THEY USE FOR SERVICE D COST 50 BUCKS ANBD THEY CHARGE YOU 500 TO OVER 1000. IBCINUDANNY@YAHOO.COM - PASS THIS ON IF YOU WISH AS I AM A MECHANIC AND WORK ON ALL KINDS OF CARS AND HARLEYS

495

USE CAS.OIL 10-30 SYNTHETIC

495

8.5 QUARTS - REMEMBER THAT AS IT IS A LARGE QUANTITY FOR A LITTLE TOY.

50

thank you. how do you rid rid of srive needed. Ihad car services by dealer bu they didn't remove "service needed".. my 2009 sl has 14350 miles but says I need the service. I live 8 hiour drive from nearest dealer and hate gond there for jsut this and they say I have to return to a delaer. can you please help?

90

Hi, i have a similar issue with my R350. It came up with a message saying i needed a B service and since i didn't take in for 2 months, the message changed to C service exceeded by XX days. Could you please send me the intructions to reset this message. My email is batting30@yahoo.com. Thank You!

60

GDI1952 - Could you please send me the steps to reset/remove the Service B code from my 2006 R350. I had done about half of the items listed on service B during my last visit about 2 months ago and didn't want to pay again for doing the same things (mostly visual inspections, etc) that were totally to close to $500.00. I opted to get only the things that had not been done during my previous visit. MB refused to reset the Service B code just b/c I wouldn't do all the things which were already done just a short while back! Great car, BAD service!

65

i just got a 2006 r350 and the service b keeps coming up and it was serviced how do i get rid of it? my e-mail is romitch1969@yahoo.com. thank you

495

CODE REMOVAL - ANY DONATIONS WOULD BE HELPFULL TO MY SMALL BUSINESS OF MY SPEED SHOP.

40

I just bought a mercedes and b1 service exceeded 3300 miles. Does this mean its over 3300 since the last oil change? And will it be ok to drive until I can get it serviced Monday?

I had 6 e class mercs my wife is on her 3rd c class the thing I cannot get my head round is that her c200 petrol kompressor needs less servicing than my 3.0 deisel cls my car has done less than 6000 miles since its last serice and went from needing a sevice in 14000mls one day to an immediate service the next albeit 12 months later does this mean the new cars are less reliable than the older ones -a lot of oil to throw away

Simple step by step found here. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w251-r-class/102373d1161611429-fss-reset-reset-service-indicator.pdf