Hi. I just bought a 2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor. So far so good with one exception. It's an automatic & upon taking off I get a vibration (more noise than feel) seemingly coming from shifter

Asked by Nov 11, 2014 at 07:58 AM about the 2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 230 Supercharged

My diagnosis has come from putting
my ear there & slightly feeling it with my
hand. It is worse going through certain
gears & or at certain speeds. I haven't
looked underneath yet. Anybody know
of anything that could be done to quite
this? It is very annoying. Thanks in
advance for any helpful advice.
Chips

35,645

Check your drive shaft and the things that holds it in place. Sorry I just can't remember what it's called...... I should coz I've replaced them on most of the Mercedes I've owned.

26,105

( Flex disk ) it attaches to the end of the drive shaft, here is a picture.

Thanks for the responses. With the picture sent. What in the picture is it that needs replaced? Or is it something that could just be tightened? If it needs replaced, is it just a matter of a few bolts/nuts & drop the drive shaft? Thanks again.

26,105

Its the rubber disk that sits between the trans and driveshaft. Inspect your to make sure its not shredded.

Hi, I've the same car and having the same problem with it. Is it expensive to fix?

I got a new one for about $60.00 on e-bay. Put it on myself. Not too hard. Drop some stuff out of the way & you have access to it. Problem is it didn't solve my problem. So I guess I just replaced one good part for another.

Many thanks. What would happen if i don't get it fix? Apart from going mad with the noise lol

Believe me I am no professional mechanic, but having replaced it I guess I could venture an educated guess. If you looked under the vehicle, looked at the flex disc, and could visibly see that the rubber parts of it were damaged at all. I would replace it immediately. If it shredded through & failed, it would let you sit. I could imagine possibly worse results could happen also if that happened. Good Luck

Thanks for your advice. I'll get it look at.

Please let me know of your results. With what you find out it might be helpful to me as I still have the vibration after replacing it. Thanks.

Also in another post I ask a question about the drivers side mirror. It's yellowed & I'm trying to figure out the easiest fix. If this happens to you & you find out anything, please let me know. Thanks again

you might also look at the transmission mount and the motor mounts i had the same issue and replaced them all and its smooth as silk... its a relatively easy process however the motor mount on the passenger side is hidden behind a heat shield that is not removable.. you'll have to bend it out of the way and jack the motor up high enough to allow that one to fall out and replace it with the new one... and make sure you get the good mounts not the cheap ones if you do get the cheap set you'll just be replacing them again in about a year...if that doesn't stop the vibrations try changing the transmission fluid and replacing the filter... be sure and catch fluid and measure the amounts its very important ...