Check Engine Light

Asked by Sep 14, 2008 at 09:11 AM about the 2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 500 4MATIC

My Check Engine Light came on last night. How can I find out what the problem might be? What type of problem/repair can I expect?

You should take it to the dealer, or a private garage that specializes in MB. The cause cause be almost anything- from a loose gas cap, a bad o2 sensor, vacuum leak, or anything else that can affect emissions.

I suggest that you go to an MB dealer. It can be expensive but they'll find the problem faster than anybody else. A check engine light, most of the time, means that there's something wrong with the anti-pollution system but with big european car such as yours, it can be much more. Sometimes it's only the fuel cap that's not tight enough so, try tightening your fuel cap and if it doesn't work go see your dealer asap.

Daniel, I did check the gas cap an it was barely screwed on. I tightened the cap, how to I get the Check Engine Light too got out? Thank You, Doug

Roch, I wanted to reply to you as well. I did check the gas cap an it was barely screwed on. I tightened the cap, how to I get the Check Engine Light too got out? Thank You, Doug

I'm not sure but i think you could be able to do it with a small OBDII reader, there are some models that have the erase codes function. But the safest way is to go see your MB dealer and do a "quick test quick delete" with the factory code reader.

The best thing to do with your vehicle is bring it to the dealer. Mercedes-Benz, being German, can be difficult to diagnose and most shops don't have the correct OBDII software to run all the tests that are needed to properly diagnose a vehicle like this. As far as getting the light to go off, you shouldn't have to do anything. When the problem is corrected and the computer sees X amount of drive cycles completed without fault, the light will go off on it's own. The light can be shut off with a factory scanner, but if the problem remains it will come back on. And just keep mind if you have it repaired somewhere, they are going to shut the light off for you because it can take a while for the computer to cycle and see the problem has been corrected. You would also be pretty mad if you paid to have the car fixed and the light was still on.

The problem in taking your car to the dealer, is that they can rip youoff big time, they take your car into a garage far away from your view and you are at ther mercy, there are there few good people, but it happened to me, took my ML500 yr. 05, to oil change, they suggested front end alignment at 35000 miles aprox, pay for and checked oil levels 3 days later, oil was dirty, black and burn, complained about it, but they changed the oil this time, the question here is : How can i trust these people? i still have my car with 635000 miles, and afraid to take it to any dealer, i do my own oil change, paid a mechanic to do the brakes, but; what would i do when my car needs a serious repair ? I LOST MY TRUST WITH ANY DEALER, PERIOD !!! unless i can see the work being done...

At serious work you have to trust them you well take live from work and you well around them

What does code d119 mean it shows up when I start the car in my ML500

Anybody please help. d-119 shows up when I start my car 2005 ML500?

This bullshit is the reason Germany lost the war. They over- engineer the crap out of everything! Then when it breaks down, it takes a team of engineers just to tell you the equipment is not turned on!

I have a ml430 with code p1457 help

I got check engine light on but no code shown