ml430, 2000, abs/esb lights

Asked by May 21, 2008 at 06:30 PM about the 2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 430

I have a chronic problem with the three warning lights coming on and staying on. ABS/ESB/BAS. I have had the brake switch changed 3 times. Still come on. Is it okay to drive with the lights on? Will I damage the car? I don't plan to keep it but another year or so and don't really want to put any more money into it. Any suggestions?

65

hi there i also have the same problem can u help me ?

20

The design of the switch is one of cost cutting. Instead of using two switches where one performs a communication task when the pedal is at rest and another completes the circuit for the stop lights, mercedes uses one switch with a complicated aragement of double plunger with a spring between each part. This plunger arangement makes contact when the brake is at rest depresssing the major plunger, As the brake is applied the two plungers are forced apart by a spring and contac.t is made which cause the stop lights to come on. Brake switches are making and breaking many hundreds of times per use particularly with automatics. So they have a harsh life. If mercedes had made this part it would be expensive and failure-proof, but they probably outsource these from many manufacturers where the labour cost will allow for cheap replacement. If you have found that you have replaced yours many times because of the instrument cluster light show and poor engine performance; then suspect not only the cheap switch but the return spring for the brake pedal. This has done a lot of work and has probably lost a little bit of its 'snap'. So try replacing this part as well so that the pedal completely compresses the plunger in its rest position. Springs can get tired after thousands of stretches.