Burning Oil

Asked by Aug 20, 2014 at 01:26 PM about the 2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E 430 4MATIC

I've been driving this car for almost ten years and am having a hard time giving it up! It's burning oil, so in between oil changes, I will add a quart or two of synthetic oil. I'm really considering keeping the car, I've test driven the new Mercedes and don't like the drive as much. They feel too light, I think they've moved to a cheaper aluminum for the body and have moved away from using so much steel. In any case, Is it worth the money to have this repaired and drive it until the end? Currently 137K miles.  Thank you!!

Burning not leaking? Is there white/blueish smoke from tailpipe? And how many miles can you get before having to add a quart? These things can help me form an opinion to your question

I'd say after about 2-3K after an oil change the oil light comes. It's not leaking at all and no smoke coming from the tailpipe. Thanks so much!

34,195

Only 137000 miles? It's hardy broken in. Are you thinking the valve seals, rings or just what it is making it lose oil. F.N. Is right. We need more info. Did you get an estimate on repairs?

To state the obvious, it's gotta be going somewhere. Give me some time for research. I want to figure this out.

All I can find is valve guide seals, badly leaking and when you first start it up you don''t see the smoke, it will come out in a big puff then be almost un-noticable. The PCV, Positive Crankcase ventilation, could need a new valve, especially if the rings are starting to wear and blow-by is pressurizing the crankcase and PCV is pulling oil out and being re-combusted, therefore less smoke. Check your air filter to see if it has oil on it..that's a clue it is the PCV. Throwing guesses both wild and from information from forums

All terrific responses, thank you! I've yet to find a mechanic that I feel is trustworthy and on mark. I did get 3K from one without seeing, he referenced the valves needing to be replaced. I'll have a discussion with one that is pretty good, but it's always better to know prior to walking in. And I know things are changing, but as a woman I sometimes feel like I'm always getting the best answer from a mechanic. I'll check the filter. I remember looking at it at the last oil change, it was dirty but I'm not remembering seeing oil. It's a small shop so I will ask, they might remember. I've heard that this car should take me many more miles, and I hope that's true! They just don't build them the same!

8,795

Until you get this issue resolved, when you add oil - do not use synthetic. It is much thinner and will burn/leak quicker. As for 137k miles - if it has been taken care of, it will probably last a lot longer. Assuming your MB is well maintained, the engine and tranny may last forever. In a MB, its all the other "stuff" that goes bad - so much electronic gadgetry.

10

Got my transmisson rebuilt road down the street and abig gust of smoke came out the tail pipe 2005 e 320 mercedes

275

What color smoke? How long had the car been sitting without being driven? How many miles are on it?