Power steering belt

20

Asked by Aug 30, 2016 at 04:40 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Base

My tension pulley broke for my
power steering belt. Does this
belt also run water pump

1,375

no, the water pump is normally driven by the timing belt, I could be wrong, not well up on these

45,995

Numb nuts, you are not very well up on anything!

236,765

Sharon, do you have the 3.1L engine? Then yes, the serpentine belt runs all the accessories including the water pump. You need to replace the tension pulley and belt before you drive it any distance.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyEm7LtoI8k

Best Answer
20

Hey Tom I know it's a v6 ,how do I find if its a 3.1? i know my pontiac is. Which has trouble of it's own. For about a month, everytime I started my 97Pontiac grand am it would smell strongly of gas like it was flooded but it is fuel injected. I checked the air filter and it was saturated with gas. I was told to see if oil smelled like gas but it doesn't

20

Tom I watched the video and I believe it's the power steering pulley that is broke I haven't looked myself but was told it was the pulley that held the power steering belt. The pic in the video does look like my engine. When the pulley broke it did overheat.my car has been sitting for over 6 months will the alternator be damaged now or the battery?

45,995

Sharon, that guy I was commenting about has done little to help anyone here. His totally wrong answers could cause someone to make an incorrect repair or spend money needlessly. Also he is in the UK and seems to know very little about our cars here in the USA. Glad you got it figured out. Have a great day.

20

Well I am sorry, just didnt know situation. I have 2 cars and neither work it's so frustrating. I may just part out the Malibu to the salvage yard. Maybe even my Pontiac too and start over. Thank you for explaining.

20

Bob i would have drove it and ruined it more if tom hadn't answered

45,995

Tom is a great guy and gives superb advice. None of us are 100% correct. The thing that separates us (Tom and I) from the guy at the top of the page is that we try to help and refrain from posting questionable advise. I do post things that I think are funny, but I NEVER knowingly give bad advise. As I said before, you have a great day.