My 2000 Chevrolet Malibu only over heated twice that day and each time we poured water in it to cool it down. I was told I needed a thermostat but it will not crank up completely I dnt think its the b

Asked by Aug 08, 2015 at 08:22 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Base

Battery because the lights and radio  
comes on. This is the first problem I
have had with this car. I dnt know
how to cut my car on completely so
that I can take to the auto shop Any
suggestions or help is accused

12,175

Your car overheated twice and both times you added water. Is that correct. Now you are saying the car will not turn over to start? Was there any noise the engine was making before you added water and or shut it off and can't get it going again? Have you tried a jump start? That may explain the battery issue. Normally the battery and overheating is not connected. If the car will not turn over at all, it may indicate a safety switch has been activated to save the engine and needs to be reset, or you may have some engine damage. If a jump start will not get it started, you may have to have it towed. Do you or did you see any radiator fluid under the car? Check the oil by pulling the dip stick and if it is milky white, you have either head gasket leaking or a cracked head. If not, and the jumpstart will not turn over the engine, it may be internal issues. If the car turns over but not start, it may be computer related. Either way a trip to the garage is in the near future.