I have a 2000 lumina that is leaking Tranny fluid out of a breather pressure tube(?) On top of the bell housing. I was originally told that this piece should. Screw out and be replaced i now believe that this is pressure fitted in place. Have not been able to find this on any diagrams and i am not sure if this is the correct name for it. There is no leaks anywhere else and i had the tranny serviced (filter changed and refilled) done january of last year. Any suggestions please I am looking for the best and cheapest way to fix. Is it safe to seal this off to prevent leak?

Asked by Apr 03, 2013 at 11:55 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

Just doesn't sound right to me....yes there is a vent to equalize pressures with atmospheric conditions...should not be pushin' red fluid up it- I'd take a look at the transmission fluid to see perhaps it has been over-filled. With the engine running pull the stick and see if the level is between the hash marks...too much fluid is bad and pipin' it out the vent tube is what it is left doin' with the surplus fluid....also the condition of the fluid, should be cherry-red and not smell burned, and also not frothy~

The fluid is overfilled...final verdict. gavel down~

No fluid has been put in there since the service. Has always read right on for levels and gets checked with every oil change. Fluid looks good. No smell.

20,615

don't quite follow ,but I say let it go. just check if bubbles on dipstick when pulled,, fluid holding, check when hot and in park after moving thru reverse drive to park position. and running. do that yourself ,you'll do better than most speedy oil kids. trust me.

7jim, why is it bubblin' up the vent tube?

offhand, I'd go for the transmission service, filter new fluid~ then see if it's cryin' to be replaced~

Thank you!

3,190

Hey ramcharger there is more than just a engine oil dip stick there. The transmission one is the one you need to check. Sounds overfull to me. Lucky Ya didn't blow pump seals Yet.

Took down oil pan there was about 3 qts in there when it requires at least 7. Chainged filter and oil. It is still leaking out of the same breather valve(?).

I think your torque converter holds four quarts all on it's own.