Convertible will not go down and switch flashes

80

Asked by Nov 07, 2014 at 06:56 PM about the 2003 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK 320 Convertible

Had a friend borrow my car and didn't know he had to release lever before trying to put down top. Now the power windows will go down when attempting to put down top, but once windows go down the convertible top switch flashes and nothing happens...Any ideas ?

70,255

Check fuse,s,,and it is possible,that when your friend,did not unlatch the top,he damaged the motor.

255

Try having it reset,,,, If it does not do anything, maybe ur friend might have burned the motor that lifts the top !

255

try doing it again w/ the right sequence on how to kift up the top, it might reset by itself ! U need to open wide all doors, windows down before u release it thru your latch then try lifting up switch ! I know it does not broke (motor) easily ! Who knows, u might get lucky ! Thats wat happened w/ mine ! Good luck !

80

Was able to get it repaired by reversing the procedure of manually putting the top down. When doing so heard a double click that was for rear hatch cover locking back into place. Works perfect now...Appreciate all the ideas and input.

30

Thank you for the info I just save myself 1,400.00 because Mercedes wanted to replace the switch. I told the mechanic to put the top down manually until it Clicks and there you go it works.

130

charges resistor fuse top need to be changed

130

mercedes convertible clk

190

I have an 03 CLK 320 convertible. Top releases in rear, comes up and hatch opens... Then top stops. Will close when switch is pushed. No fluid leaks. Any ideas

30

I broke the plastic that cover the swich to open the top of my Mercedes clk 320 any ideas who sells the replacement part? Thank you

10

I have a 1999 Clk 320 mercedes having problems with my convertible top. Once you get it down it will not go back up... what should I do? Any suggestions please?

10

I took mine to Mercedes who said the top motor needed replacement and quoted at $3600 repair. Auto Row does not hire their own mechanics and I took my CLK 320 to the independent shop where Mercedes sends their cars to. He hooked the car up on his computer and found there is a relay which went out and did not charge the $160 that Mercedes charges for the computer diagnosis, he (the independent shop) was booked up with Mercedes and BMW repairs from auto row and referred me to another independent shop down the street which does only Mercedes. This shop also hooked my CLK on to his computer for free and found there was a relay out. He was also booked up by Mercedes auto row work and could not schedule my repair for 2 weeks. I called the Mercedes Parts Dept and found the top relay was in stock and then transferred my call to Service which installed the $50 relay for $100 and the work was completed immediately. Mercedes quoted $3600 for this work originally and settled for $150 and the job was done right. Remember Mercedes does not pay their own mechanics the rates they charge the customer, the job it out to other shops which charge lower prices and those independent mechanics are usually found in industrial complexs around the corner. The independent mechanics are all friends and there is a network of mechanics who do all work, body shops, electric, upholstery, anything you need at a much lower price.

Hi Sonoma beach! Could you give me contact info for this independent Mercedes mechanic, please? Will definitely go to him and have my clk 320 fixed. Problem with softtop not going up or down. Also, electronic key doesn't work all the time. Thanks. Ernie