what would cause the cruise control to stop working on my 2003 clk320

Asked by Sep 06, 2014 at 12:14 PM about the 2003 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK 320 Convertible

We took the car to the local tire shop to have the tires rotated----had some issuses , but
got that straight ( I think ) then the next day the cruise control stopped working.
Related???  Checked the fuse and it looks to be fine. Where to go next???

We took the CLK to a luxury car repair shop and they pulled the codes and said they thought it was a stop light relay going bad, which caused the ABS light to come, which stopped the cruise from working. Apparently that reset the lights because after we left the shop, the lights didn't come back on and the cruise is working. That has been 2 weeks. Wish us luck!

430

Good luck

14,335

Some car computers are hooked in to so much, that they are set to protect the car and will prevent it from either running or some of the features from working. Changing or rotating the tires may necessitate a resetting of the computer to readjust for the reading of the codes on the tires. Cars are getting way to smart now-a-days.

14,335

How does a computer tell if a relay or circuit board may be going bad? It either works or it does not. I could make a few comments about "Luxury auto repair shops," but I'll stop there...

5

Your ESP is not working properly this has to do with your traction control. When they were working on your tires they hit this part and either broke it or damaged it. Take it to a very good shop or the dealer. This can be fixed pretty easily.

20

I understand completely. I have a 2000 Mercedes E320 and when I first purchased it the cruise control didn't work at high speeds either (only at lower speeds at about around 40 mph max). When November came around, in 2015, I had sipped tires put on the front and studded tires on the back. I then asked my mechanic, who works on mine and other foreign cars, why my cruise control wasn't working at high speeds. He too said it is because I have two different set of tires (in the front and back). I said, well, when the end of April rolls around I will put on new all weather, performance tires and we'll see what happens then. Today May 7, 2016 and I had all new (and the same) tires put on my Mercedes. After driving away from that tire place I then took the car out on the freeway and the cruise control worked great at high speeds. So, one less auto mystery to solve.