2002 clk 320 has good fuses but windows done work, top won't open but tries to, door lock won't work, mirrors won't work.

Asked by May 19, 2015 at 07:04 PM about the 2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK 320 Convertible

Having intermittent electrical problems with 2002 clk 320 that we just bought.  All seem to
be electrical but the fuses are good.  Could it be a control module and how do we test
that?  Should we have the computer reset? Problems with trunk, mirrors, top, door locks.  
Had a new battery replaced in key and that doesn't work.

40

I have that issue also. This started happening after the bow lock hydraulic cylinder sprung a leak and lost pressure and some fluid. I replaced that seal--repaired soft top tension cables--changed yaw sensor--adjusted drivers window track--re-synced headrest and windows, (worked for a day) But today, soft top red light is solid with key on, (no flashing lights), headrest light solid...mirrors, soft top latch, windows, headrest buttons not working. Windows work only with key fob pointed @ outside door handle pressing lock/ unlock button and holding for 3secs. (all work at same time) You may be able to force everything to work again if you disconnect and reconnect the battery negative cable or the VDO box harness for a few secs/re-connect. In my case it only works for a few days. This must reset something momentarily but not sure what. And what makes it go back into error mode is beyond me. Anyone have any suggestions on this issue?

20

If the top tries to open, but won't make sure you are raising the front at least 8 inches with the latch handle before activating switch.

40

VDO CONTROL BOX IS my issue. This control box is located in the trunk area. Its hidden behind the rear seat along with the convertible top hydraulic pump. My convertible top with only work for a few days if I disconnected the battery and reconnected it. So what I did was to find out how to reset the box by turn of the key every time I got in and out. I found two fuses in the trunk area that once disconnected will reset this box. I located a fuse in the hood area that when the key was turned on it was activated and key off deactivated. (Cell phone fuse) all I had to do was tap into this fuse and then run to separate relays on the other two fuses in the trunk area that would turn on and off when I turned my key on and off. So basically when I turn my key on I turn the box on and when I turn my key off I'm turning the box off effectively resetting it with the turn of the key every time

40

It works now however those two fuses in the trunk area are also connected to the small rear windows circuit. So when you turn your key off those small windows are disconnected from the circuit also along with the box. This means you must roll your windows up when you want to get out before you turn the key off. Hope this helps anyone in the future that may be having problems with this control box as these boxes are very expensive to replace. Make sure you test with disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it before you try anything like this. This is only if the control box does not operate the top at all. If it's actually trying to work but not able to then your problem is somewhere else in the convertible top circuit.