Car won't start or turnover intermittently

20

Asked by Jun 11, 2016 at 11:27 AM about the 1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK 320 Convertible

Car seemed to be lacking power periodically when
driving - I thought it was transmission slipping -  
and then it progressed to it wouldn't want to start
although it was trying. It seemed it wasn't getting
fuel.  I had the crank sensor changed - the fuel filter
and the fuel pump.  Nothing shows up on the
computer...   I am at a complete loss as to what to
do ..,

5,465

batteries will stop accepting a charge...run at reduced capacity and should really be changed every five years, or you will not get full capacity and need amperage~ also in the rust belt connections will corrode..out here in the west is not a problem...but the terminals will corrode within a few weeks and the green stuff really should be wirebrushed away to make a solid connection...one that will not "drop out"~

Best Answer
20

Perhaps I am missing information. The sensor was changed as apparently power wasn't getting to pump at all when things got really bad. . The order of change was the filter first - crank position sensor next - then the fuel filter. All over a week. The car was running beautifully most of the time between the incidences. With all things repaired to date - only having coming out of shop yesterday for the third time in a week - it is turning over but so sluggish after 4 starts yesterday ... It seemed to run great after incidents in last few months but after car was warm and restarting it would start acting up. It would take 5 minutes of trying to get it to kick in...

20

I'm lost in this website. Not sure how to reply. Any advice welcome. Thx kindly

5,465

well these are all volunteer folks who came with a car problem...then they had known of that one and needed to help others with their problems...tellin' ya, the battery is the critical item here~ and the solid connections to it~ ECU needs not wavering voltages~ it's your battery, my friend...and the connections to it...overlooked is the chassis ground to the fender and the one that goes the motor block~

5,465

actually re-read your problem and think that perhaps it's a thermo- time switch gone bad~ 1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK

Thermo time switch? Never heard of one. What does it do?

5,465

when operating temperature is reached the fuel system is enabled, 'cept when it is cold then the rich condition exists~ and works on time so it is not kept off so the intake is not starved of fuel~...is my understanding from working on a 5 cylinder audi that I could not diagnose and just about burned up the starter~