Hesitation from take offs. c240

205

Asked by Apr 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM about the 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 4 Dr C240 4MATIC AWD Sedan

At every stop, my MB c240 takes a little bit to get the RPMs back to normal and take off is very slow. I was told it is a sensor, but can't recall what or which one. It deals with the RPMs. Thanks to everyone for your' advice.
I ask this question a few months ago, I noticed some have looked at it but still no answers. Has anyone ever had this problem? Or am I asking it in the wrong way? Thanks again. Happy Trails.

210,435

The reasons for no answers is that it can be any number of issues. Do you have a service or check engine light on so we can pinpoint the issue?

210,435

One issue it could be the pedal value sensor losing it's signal to the ME control unit. It's located on the accelerator pedal. Did you take your car to the Mercedes mechanic to have it diagnosed and they couldn't fix the issue? If you want to find a solution, I suggest you frequent a Mercedes Benz forum and research threads with similar issues and ask questions.

Best Answer
205

Hi Tom, no, there isn't any check eng. lights on or have been on. This started when we were in MD. I thought it was bad gas. I only use premium. Lately, the car every now and again almost dies at red lights/stop signs. Luckily, it hasn't killed over yet, ha. One person at the MB dealership said it is a sensor that causes three or four plugs to foul out, that's why it is acting like it does. but, I forgot what he called the sensor, electric component. Do you know of any sensors that can cause this problem? Oh, sry, thanks for answering my question(s) too. And no, I haven't taken it to the dealership because of cost. 'I'm a 100% service connected disabled vet 1972.' Not a bunch of bucks to live on, ha. I do the repairs mostly myself. Like the water pump I replaced and saved over $600.00. A while back I was checking the web to find an answer and a lot of folks had this problem. But, I had to reformat this pc and lost the short-cut. It seems like they all leaned towards the sensor(s). The pedal Value sensor sounds like a good start, I will try to check it out. Is there anyway I can use a volt meter on it? Are they very costly and can I get one at a parts store? Or is it a Dealership part? (I really don't need another car for what MB charges) lmao. Thanks again Tom for the info, I appreciate that very much. Have a good one. Happy trails partner.

210,435

OK, so you want to look at the basics then. Change plugs, wires, replace air and fuel filter, clean throttle body and MAF. Look for vacuum leaks too, and make sure the air breather is intact.

1,515

There are two possible solutions. The cheapest (and most common) is the crankshaft position sensor. Located on the left side of the engine at the bell housing. It not too difficult to remove, you'll need a long 1/4" extension and a T8 socket. When it fails the engine cranks but fails to start (intermittently), or the engine will almost stall at stops, not sure about the lack of power you mention or slow to gain rpm's. It can be tested by measuring the resistance across its two terminals. Any reading over 900 ohms, I would replace it. It won't set a fault code in the engine control unit. The other solution is the Mass Air Flow MAF sensor, may or may not set a fault code, definitely causes lack of power and slow to gain rpm's. Cleaning it won't help. Rather expensive from MB dealer, try aftermarket or VW dealers.

120

I think the catalayal converters are plug up.

2005 c240 Mercedes cranks won't start intermittent when it does start lots of white smoke very strong gas smell no codes dealer said replace cps did that still same problem replaced mass air flow fuel filter injectors did Cylinder leake test all good any help?

10

My C240 too, at every stop,takes a little bit to get the RPMs back to normal and take off is very slow.the first time it was due to spark plugs coils and the second time was due to clogged air filters along with out of order "air mass flow sensor"

30

My car only hesates at take offs it feels like the e brake is stuck what could it be

60

My 2006 240, just recently (2 weeks ago) started giving my problems. It hesitates at take off, when the engine is cold, only. After the engine warms up, thee issue goes away. Just today the check engine light came on. Any clues? I was thinking maybe fuel or air filter...