My c240 mercedez Benz won't shiftngears. It only stuck in the first gear. What is the cause and how can i fix the prolem?

Asked by Apr 18, 2012 at 07:13 AM about the 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 240 Sedan

My C Class C240 Mercedes won't shift gears. It stuck at gear one only. I don't know the cause and I want
my car to be fixed as My c240 mercedez Benz won't shiftngears. It only stuck in the first gear. What is the
cause and how can o fix the prolem? as possible. What can I do please. Help me

495

If you can get your car to a shop safely, have them run a diagnostic. It sounds to me it's the cpu in your car. I had a car that did the same thing and had to replace mine. Without a warranty, it can be quite expensive though. But, if you haven't already tried, take the positive then negative battery cables of the battery. Leave them off for a couple minutes then put them on neg then pos. Simple I know but might help. Good luck.

205

The only other answer would be - make sure it says 'D' on the dash. If it says '1' you got manual gears too, so shift stick sideways till it says 'D'.

5,645

It seems your Mercedes is in limp home mode. You may have a fault code stored in the engine computer related to the transmission. Is your engine check light on? Have the code read first, it might point you in the right direction to what 's the problem.

70

Mine had similar prob. With the ABS and Check Engine lights always on. After computer diagnostic test it was discovered to be speed sensor inside the axle. It was replaced and all faults returned to normalcy. I equally changed my rear break pads.

115

I think something similar happened to me! The shop could not for the life of them figure out what was wrong, so they put in a transmission. The newer transmission had the same exact problem and THEN they discovered it was a computer error, but we were stuck paying thousands for that new transmission.. it was horrible. SO watch out for that! lol

80

Thanks for all your answers..I will post the results when i get them, to help other owners with similar problem!

20

had same problem with my clk320 2004, replaced gearbox conductor plate, changed the oil, cleared errors, 2 days later same problem.. so now im probably changing solenoids on the conductor plate. this might be it

50

car does not accelerate when pressing the gas pedal after stop

320

Ned a machines

30

Had the same problem with my C240 and went to a shop and had my transmission done yet problem still persisted, upon research I found out cranckshaft position sensor was bad(these cars are known for that). Changed it out myself and problem solved

30

When i start my c240 2003 the gear gifts accurately in both reverse and all the forward gear work right, but after sometime as soon as i stop to reverse or move the stick from drive to reverse the entire gear system starts to malfunction, there is a delay time for the gear to and the engine to connect and move sometimes it just don't work until i stop the engine, remove the keys and start again after couple of minutes before it will work again, and now its happening all the time. solomon, somieibi1965@gmail.com