What causes ignition key to keep starter engaged and not let it release and start engine?

20

Asked by Feb 14, 2013 at 01:22 PM about the 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 240 Sedan

Have replaced starter thinking that was the problem. Car typically starts right up. Has 50K very pampered
miles. Problem is when turning key the old and now new starter stay engaged turning the engine not
allowing it to run. Turning key off wait a second try again and normally it will start as it would always.
Once in a while it stays engaged again but after that typically starts right up. My wife is afraid to drive now
that it is being fussy. Any ideas?

So what we can tell from this thread, is the starter solenoid isn't letting go, and stays engaged after the engine is already started? This is happening with your second starter, but did not happen with the first? Not enirely sure which device is causing your complications. Will check your schematic to see if something like a 'run' switcher is not switching or stuck on? let me know if this is a starter problem or a run problem~

20

The old starter worked fine until we had this problem with the starter solenoid staying engaged. Changed out the starter...not fun having to drop the entire exhaust system to do so. Then for several weeks all was fine and then the same problem started again with this new starter. So it appears that the original starter and now the new starter are not the problem. Best as I can see it may be the ignition switch but have no way of knowing. No error codes or other issues have cropped up. Hate to think we spent $400 for a new starter for nothing...

inspect every little thing that could possibly have been bumped in the second starter replacement including along the firewall perhaps something was bumped or partially disconnected looks like it's still disconnected. re-do any running connections look around what systems were disturbed in this second starter replacement. Something was disturbed, a connector, a plug, a jack something came unplugged?? really need to get up close and personal if I'm going to have to see what is really going on here....inspect!

I also have the same problem with my c320 2001. In the beginning it was inability to start it only greeted me with malfunction message. I changed cranck shaft sensor In vain. And not when I pushed the key in to position 2 the light goes off immediately and say malfunction the starter don't even move. Plz any suggestions.

10

Going to buy a 2003 Mercedes-Benz but the when it starts and sound like the starter is dragging what do you think