Anyone have an idea of what amount of hp I should be running with these mods done to my cummins?

10

Asked by Jan 09, 2013 at 11:24 AM about the 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab SB

I have a 2006 Cummins 3500 SRW Sport- 6 speed manual-

Performance parts include:

-Air dog 150
-Mp8
-EFI Live
-4200 Iron Giant Clutch
-Sheid bag of goodies, AFE Intake
-Super B Special 64mm Turbo

also has rail pressure, egt, boost, fuel pressure guages--has 5 inch turbo back exhaust with 7 inch tip.

I was just wondering what kind of hp I am looking at without taking it to a dyno. Just an estimate. I know it feels great, ecerything is tight, and its the fastest truck I have ridden in but I know that may not be saying much. Thanks for all the help. Also I have always wanted to pull trucks. Should I pull this truck (safely, breakable?) What else would I need to do to be able to do that. sounds like fun! Thanks again for all responses.

The 6.7L puts out 350 HP and 650 f/p torque factory, you have some options that may well be pushing 400 HP. AND what do you mean by "pull" trucks?

10

My truck has the 5.9 and I was told by a few people that between the programmers, fuel mods, and bigger turbo that it was over 600HP...is that just a huge exageration or is it possible. Also, if I had a next step to making it push more power what are some options to do next. As far as the truck pulls go I just wondered about pullin my truck in the county fair or annual truck pulls around my area. Thanks again man

No Way. Not even. The Cummins Factory website lists the 5.9 as 240 HP w/ 400 f/p torque. I don't care what add ons there are, 600 is not feasible. Sorry, don't shoot the messenger.....Gear ratios are what you should use to get push/pull power

5,230

I think you got your hp mixed up with foot pounds of torque

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/ was my source.

10

So I guess im just not as up to speed as you guys are in this and I am faily new to diesel trucks although I am facinated with them and I think its fun making them more powerful, that being said, when it says that mp8 adds 100-110 hp and the turbo adds 200hp, and the EFI live adds this much horsepower etc, that doesnt really mean anything? and if so why? Thanks and sorry I am such a newbie!

10,755

With no fueling upgrades such as injectors and injection pump, youre pretty limited to below 450whp. With the setup I have which is a 60% over II CP3, 150HP injectors, EFI live, a 82MM single turbo, goerend stage 5 transmission w/cryo shafts, gorilla girdle, custom 6 inch intake horn, water meth injection. I put 720 to the ground.

10,755

in 2006 the 5.9 Cummins was rated for 325/610 w/auto trans, and 300/600 w/manual trans. both at the fly wheel.

Best Answer
10,755

MP8 boxes are garbage get rid of it youll damage your injectors with it. It raises fuel pressure too excessive levels. and the EFIlive is more than likely overriding it. I would recommend investing in a southbed dual disc clutch as well, youll blow through the stock unit in no time.

10,755

Youre very close to being able to fairly cheaply bounce out of the 450whp limit though. Id say conservatively you could invest in a LBZ duramax CP3 injection pump, which is identical to the Cummins one, but flows 30% more fuel because GM doesnt put lift pumps on the diesel silverados/sierras. Adding the LBZ pump, would put you into the 550whp range, and that pump will support up to 100 horse injectors, any thing larger and you either need a bigger pump, or a dual CP3 setup.

10

Thanks for the help Dan. If I went to that LBZ Pump would I completely get rid of the airdog lift pump? what hp do stock injectors give you? I wanted to put in injectors but didnt know whether to get 100hp tips or 100hp injectors all together? Thanks man.. -Daniel

10

Dan- By the way it was a 4200 Iron giant dual disk already in it

10,755

Basically you would replace your existing Cummins CP3 pump, with the LBZ pump, and keep your airdog, it would give you a 30% boost in pump capacity. Industrial Injection sells a kit called the "CP3 Bag O' Parts" if youre mechanically inclined its a cheaper alternative to buying an entire pump, and gives you the same basic thing.

10,755

Replacing the tips on the injectors is a PITA and you have to take them out any way to do it, by the time you remove the injectors and old tips, send the injector out to be retooled to match the tip, and reinstall the injectors, you wont have as much $ spent but youre going to have significantly more down time. Tips are kind of like a bandaid in the performance world using your OEM high mileage injectors to try and create more power could cause you major headaches.

10,755

As for how much power youre going to get out of the basic OEM injectors, it really all depends on the health of your injection system as a whole, and how well your EFIlive tunes are built, I dont know who does your tuning, but there are deffinitely some guys out there significantly better than others.

10

Okay so basically I need to get new injectors, get the EFI live re-tuned (I know an excellent guy to this, and he hasnt looked at this truck yet- I bought it with all this stuff done to it already which a lot of people frown upon but I drove it and it runs excellent and looked well taken care of so I went for it.) and get a LBZ pump and get rid of my CP3 pump but keep the raptor 150? sound about right? ---and can you tell me more about the MP8? I have it installed and the knob to regulate it but why again is it a bad option to have? and what could I exchange it for that is better. Thanks again man youve been a big help

10,755

yes all thats correct. now the MP8 is a fuel pressure box. all it does is ramp up fuel pressure, most of the time to unsafe levels. EFIlive is completely custom tuning software, which can take control of just about every aspect of engine control. youre actually going to interfere with the tuning from EFIlive with the MP8, I would just try to get rid of it personally.

10

Okay man I really appreciate it. I will be in touch!

10,755

Okay sounds good.

505

The hard part about this is the EFILive. If you could give us the horsepower tunes that you have, then we might be able to add it up. Didnt know if you already said, didnt read the other comments. But id say somewhere in the 400-475 hp range.

505

And if you wanted, you can get something from ATS called "Dual Fueler" which keeps your stock Cummins CP3 pump, and adds a stronger LBZ Duramax pump. If you went with that option, Id keep your AirDog so you can supply enough fuel to the pumps.

10,755

Dual fuelers are just a PITA unless your pushing 800+ to the tires.