Day time headlights problem

Asked by Feb 26, 2016 at 09:52 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

There is something wrong with the wiring in
my headlights. When my low beams are on
my right headlight doesn't work. When the
high beams are on they both do. My
headlights have one bulb for each side that
work for high and low beam. I just got a
new light bulb, because I thought the low
beam wasn't working on the right side.
Whenever I'm in drive and my day time
running lights automatically turn on, my
lights flash for about 3-5 seconds then the
lights turn off and my service engine light
shows up on my dash board. Could this be
a wiring problem for the headlights? If it
might be, is there any way I can fix this
problem so both lights work on high and
low beams?

4,785

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your lights. Cavalier's are actually reliable cars and last for a long time. Because you are having the Service Engine Soon Light come on with the intermittent headlight and daytime running light problems I might say its an electrical or a wiring problem however, because there are two bulbs for the high and low beams, I would recommend swapping out all the headlight bulbs. There might just be a connection problem especially if they are old. The other problem can be the wiring in the actual head light switch on the turn signal. Do you have any troubles with the turn signals? Do they work or cause any activity on the dash? Electrical problems can be some of the most expensive and tricky repairs because of the time it takes to track them down. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Answer

My car has been really reliable with no engine problems and I've had my car for almost a year. The only problems I have with it is electrical problems and the power steering leaks..I have no problems with the turn signal. I don't think its light switch on the turn signal. I just hope it's could be a loose connection somewhere by the headlights.

Yesterday I just put two brand new light bulb in my car and that solved my day time running lights problem. About last October my right head light burnt out and I replaced only the right light bulb. Then that's where my day time running lights problem started. Apparently the whole time I just needed to switch the left and the right bulbs with brand new bulbs. I never would have thought that would have solved my problem. Thanks for telling me to swap all the headlights!!