Is it worth replacing the main support strut for all components under the hood when it rusted out and broke?

Asked by May 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

This frame component has practically everything that's under the hood bolted to it. The estimate for this replacement is $2000, and I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile thing to do. The vehicle has 132K miles, gets 32 mpg, all other components seem ok, but considering the age I wonder if it would be wiser to junk it and put the money into a newer, younger vehicle.

12,305

If you have that much rust in that location you most likely have significant rust in other places you don't know of. Cavaliers like to rust. My thoughts are if you had any inclination of new car I would go that route.

for that kind of money you can buy another car , why mess with all that because if the tower is rusted out I'm sure that's not the only rust on the car.