2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.4L has no compression, Valves not operating, is it a Chain or Tensioner that has failed?

Asked by May 30, 2014 at 05:35 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.4L has no compression, Valves not operating, is it a Chain or Tensioner that has failed? Had a GM Mechanic Friend help with Diagnosis, We did a Compression Check and got zero, Pulled the Valve Cover and turned the Engine over no Valve Operation. In our opinion it is either the Chain or the Tensioner. My experience is with much older cars I quit working for the Manufacturers Auto Shops about 1977 and worked for myself when I needed. I spent 29 Years as a Soldier Retiring in 1998. So I don't know a whole lot about major Engine work on newer Cars. Anyone experienced with this Motor? I could use some Expert advice.

105,925

Broke chain or it came off due to bad tensioner. Replace both anytime you go into one of these. But that the good part of all this. If i not badly mistaken that's an interference engine meaning when it jumps time or chain breaks (as yours as done)the pistons hit the valves bending them. If this has happened to yours the heads will have to be removed and new valves installed. I would bet your valves are bent. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

15,935

Now that was a well written question. @Snake_Eater - remember when we could tear them down to the crank and fix them without worrying about a bunch of s__t getting in our way ? The best my mechanic could do now of days is put in a rebuilt engine and he's probably never even seen a crankshaft.

105,925

As per your pm. "That's the way they do sometimes. It's normal for when one goes there is no unusual sound. They just quit running. Ask them if they have been hearing a ticking noise coming from the engine. (Tick tick tick tick). This engine is known for a timing chain tensioner tick issue. If not repaired the parts fail and you end up with bent valves. "